Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Balistc Coefficiant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-21-2006, 02:03 AM
Silver Member
Balistc Coefficiant

I understand that the bullet with the highest BC will when the race with a faster bullet of lower BC.
My question is what is the equation to calculate at what distance the high BC bullet catches the one with a lower BC.

Three rules of Life: If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. Don't worry about what people think; they don't do it very often. Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Unread 05-21-2006, 04:48 AM
Platinum Member
Re: Balistc Coefficiant

Sierra Bullets' reloading manuals have been packed with all sorts of ballistic equations, formulas and stuff of that nature. Plus their explanations help folks like me understand the relative things that determine a bullet's BC.

My guess is the easiest way to find out at what point does one bullet overtake another is to run ballistic software (Sierras'?) then compare two bullets' time of flight. At the range where their time of flights are the same is where the higher BC one overtakes the lower BC one.

Someone else may have a better suggestion, but such is life.
Unread 05-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Gold Member

Unfortunately barts right. Theres no quick and dirty method that will do it. If you are talking about 2 bullets launched from the same cartridge, generally, if both bullets are of equal design, and the BC commensurates with the weight increase, the heavier bullet will always have less drift, and the lighter will have a flatter trajectory. It won't usually be a radical differance, but thats the way it usually shakes out. Occasionally, like in the case of the 308WIN, the heaviest bullets can't gain enough speed in normal length barrels to make up for the increase in weight. Also, the heavier bullet will eventually win out in the drop area as well over the light one if you look at a long enough range... but even then not by much, and were talking 1500yds and better. I shoot 220SMKs out of my 300WM, and im liking 180Bergers from my 7mm esty dubbaya, so to me, the better wind drift of the heavier bullets is worth the small increase in max height at shorter ranges... but part of it is a personal choice. If youve got a cartridge and bullets in mind, I could give you some specific numbers.
Unread 05-22-2006, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Ballistic Explorer can help!

<font color="red">BC = 0.197 MV = 3770 </font> VS <font color="green">BC = 0.483 MV = 2600 </font>

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!