Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Baer wildcat ballistics...Any info?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2006, 04:16 PM
Silver Member

Re: Baer wildcat ballistics...Any info?

Hey Black Diamond, now thats what I,am talking about!!

Old 02-27-2006, 06:39 PM
Silver Member

I read the thread about your current projects with great interest! When you get into custom actions it's a pretty grey area of what's best. More like whatevers best for you.

If my info is correct, the 408 CT case was derived from a 505 gibbs. I was thinking of going to the 408 but bullet choices are 1 ultra expensive design or blanks.

I was wanting to be able to purchase or readily form brass without worring about it. Seems like a lot of people are looking at building the same mousetrap but using slightly different patterns. Is baers' design for the round considerably different than either of yours?

How much would the 60 degree action with a 10 round mag in steel cost?

The reason for my quest: kill a pdog at over 1 mile.... Now everyone understands!

Be kind to your neighbors... shoot quietly..
WWW.Gem-tech.com
WWW.Advanced-Armament.com
Old 02-27-2006, 07:32 PM
Gold Member

Meister:

[ QUOTE ]
I read the thread about your current projects with great interest! When you get into custom actions it's a pretty grey area of what's best. More like whatevers best for you.

If my info is correct, the 408 CT case was derived from a 505 gibbs. I was thinking of going to the 408 but bullet choices are 1 ultra expensive design or blanks.

I was wanting to be able to purchase or readily form brass without worring about it. Seems like a lot of people are looking at building the same mousetrap but using slightly different patterns. Is baers' design for the round considerably different than either of yours?

How much would the 60 degree action with a 10 round mag in steel cost?

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> </font> Yes the shell came from the 505 gibbs, but has been upgraded to heavier brass for the high pressure round. The case is easy to neck down and fire form, mine has the 35 deg shoulder with .020 body taper. I talked with Kirby and his has a slightly tighter body taper and sharper shoulder. I dont know what Baer has on his. The case has ample room for large amounts of slow burning powder. I would guess they will all perform similar.

I dont have 10 round magazines, that would be just huge! I am working on a 4 round for hunters.

I sell my single shot actions for 1000.00 in stainless, Titanium are 2000.00 I have a Lawton action that will be availible soon.

"Let the good times roll"
Old 02-28-2006, 05:02 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

As BD408 correctly stated I am just in the middle of my 338 Allen Mag development. Here is a pic:

Left to right:
7mm Allen Mag(338 Lapua based for size comparision), 338-408 CT virgin case ready for fireforming, formed 338 Allen Mag and finally the 408 CT parent case.

Powder capacity of the 338-408 CT virgin case holds 166 gr of AA8700 filled to the case mouth. The 338 Allen Mag holds 178 gr.

The 338 Sniper Tac, 338 Big Baer and my 338 Allen Mag are all basically the same thing in slightly different packages. Slight differences in body taper, shoulder angle and shoulder position but end result performance will be extremely similiar with all.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 02-28-2006, 05:20 PM
Gold Member

Kirby,

Looks good! Yours is a bit longer than mine in the shoulder area. I pushed my neck down till it met the 408 case shoulder. I think the neck measured .350 long after forming. Did you use the formula i gave you for fire forming? It looks like it formed good.

No matter what one a person chooses, they are Nasty! Could produce over 8,000 pounds of muzzel energy.

Old 02-28-2006, 09:25 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

BD408,

Nope, that one was with 125 gr H-50BMG under a 300 gr SMK. Couldn't find any corn meal in the house. Next time I am in town I will pick some up and give her a whirl.

I agree, all are flat out impressive rounds.

guess I better order in the 375 AM reamer and get rolling on that one!!! Any thoughts on that? Custom bullets of course, around 400 gr ULD RBBT is what I am thinking, maybe 410-415 gr.

God forbid I actually slow down and enjoy what we have in our hands!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 02-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Gold Member

Kirby,

The 375 was my first choice, when i got a 408c-t case in my grimmy fingers, a big smile went on my face...but no good LR bullets for the 375. If a guy was just wanting a 600yd gun i think what is out there would be good. Richard comes up with some of his masterpieces, i think that will really sail. A 400grn 375 with 850 or 900 BC Just think of it, 2000yds would be easy!!!! The gun really does perform good in the 408cal, just no bullets to choose from,"Richard is tring" The bigger bore helps with the large case capacity, little faster powder can be used. The 338 is great also, the 350grn bullets should make it a winner.
I have a box of Richards 350gn bullets, they appear to have soft points, and boat tails, what are the BC of these?

There is one seated in my SnipeTac below
[image][/image]