Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Bad Sendero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 11:27 PM

Bad Sendero

Back in Nov i baught a brand new Sendero in 300 RUM,took the rifle still in the box to Hill Country Rifles In New Braunsfels Tx to have in bedded in a Mcmillian stock,and accurized,because of there backlog i had a 4 month wait,got a call today from Matt at HCR about the rifle,the chamber was .025 out of round,and the barrel was warped. Hopefully Remington wont give me to much trouble on getting the rifle replaced.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bad Sendero

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Baker View Post
Back in Nov i baught a brand new Sendero in 300 RUM,took the rifle still in the box to Hill Country Rifles In New Braunsfels Tx to have in bedded in a Mcmillian stock,and accurized,because of there backlog i had a 4 month wait,got a call today from Matt at HCR about the rifle,the chamber was .025 out of round,and the barrel was warped. Hopefully Remington wont give me to much trouble on getting the rifle replaced.
I bought a new .223VS a few years back that shoot real nice 4" groups with hand loads. No matter what I did, a little over 4" was about it. Folks said I was the problem, and took it out to see what they could do with it. A couple weeks later I get a call asking me how I managed to shoot 4.25" groups with it? Did a chamber cast as well as a complete barrel chart. The chamber was reamed .007" off center, and to add insult at roughly a 7 degree angle to the bore. The barrel was so rough that it tore up patches! But even worse was the fact that Remington never deburred that reciever after machining! The bolt was seating on a very large burr (.06" to .07"). I should have sent it back to Remington, but took the task into hand. Ended up with a 20" barrel that shoots in the low fours and high threes. I lost about 75fps in velocity. This was my last Remington, and will be my last.
gary

Last edited by Trickymissfit; 02-09-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Silver Member

You get what you pay for. Remngton factory standards now are 1.5 MOA.

Another reason to shoot a Custom Rifle.

Nat Lambeth
Old 02-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
Did a chamber cast as well as a complete barrel chart. The chamber was reamed .007" off center, and to add insult at roughly a 7 degree angle to the bore.
Saw exactly the same thing some years back in not one, but FOUR 6.8 SPC M700s. Shooting three or four inches at 100 meters, and that was from a machine rest. Ran the bore scope in and found that the rifling stopped well into the throat . . . on one side. On the other side, the rifling came all the way down to the case mouth, stopping abruptly at the step of the chamber. Did a chamber cast of all four, and they were all identical. Don't know what the angle was (and really didn't care), but they were all the same, obviously chambered on the same set up with the error repeated precisely in all four. Big Green seems to be making an effort to get this sort of issue cleaned up, but I'm still very cautious about buying a newer Remington these days. As long as they're marketing to the Wal-Mart crowd instead of gunshops and serious shooters, we'll probably continue see this from time to time.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

I'd like to know if there is ANY other factory brand that makes guns so bad!
Then maybe I could understand why people actually buy Remingtons..
Old 02-08-2011, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member

H&R handi rifles! Oh wait Remington owns them to!
Old 02-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
Then maybe I could understand why people actually buy Remingtons..
Because the M700 is a truly great design, and they're very good rifles. The fact that they've (Remington) turned out garbage for some time is reflective of the ownership or management, not the design itself. I still buy Remingtons, and have no qualms about doing so. However, I will say that I'd rather find one in a pawn shop or a used one that's several years old in a gun store than one of more recent production.

Basic truism in this industry; all companies can produce good, and bad products, depending on who's running them at the time. I'm a long time S&W revolver fan, I truly love 'em. They recently changed some facets of their design, and frankly I'm not pleased with those changes, but they're still very high quality guns. Some of the best they've ever produced, in fact. That said, I'll also be the first to admit that at various points in their history, they've turned out some genuine POS garbage. Years ago I bought an M28 357 Mag that would have been a perfect training gun for an apprentice gunsmith, because it had virtually ever single proble you could build into the S&W design. Out of time, poor alignment, a fast-stop condition, you name it, it had it. Still, it's a good design. The fact that the ownership at that time placed profits above quality was a fact of life at the time, but that changed when they sold out to the next owners. These things matter, and I just hope Remington will get a handle on this and go back to what they once were.