Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Bad Remington?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2003, 08:13 PM

Re: Bad Remington?

Whoops!!!Got a little carried away on that one. Been looking at, not reading, too many post at the "OTHER" site. I think we have sued ourselves into a deep hole and everyone is completely gunshy no matter what the situation and sales people are taught to be cautious.

Just how good was the Weatherby target. Maybe a guy should have kept that one for braggin' rights.

The present will always be sorted out in the future, with the winners writing the history books. Isn't that what someone more astute than myself said a long time ago? Just another case of hindsite is always 20-20.

The worst day of shooting was always a very good day. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2003, 09:27 PM
Silver Member

The biggest problem is, I'm still set on a Remington! At least they make the VS in left hand. I don't think Winchester makes anything similiar for a lefty! I don't think I know of a smith that will go with me to inspect the rifle before purchase. I am thinking of taking a straight edge with me at least, so's to check alignment of base tap's.

[ 02-16-2003: Message edited by: littletoes ]
Old 02-17-2003, 12:29 AM

Are you sure the bolt wasn't locked. You know with new lock they have on the back of the bolt. I did that one time.

later
Old 02-17-2003, 12:47 AM

I bought a Remington Sendero 25-06 that ended up having a ridge in the middle of the chamber shoulder that imprinted the reverse on a fired case. You could see it with a light shining down into the chamber. I sent it back to Remington and they put a new barrel AND receiver on the rifle, guess it's cheaper than just swapping the barrel out.

It came back and shoots very small groups with 75 gr VMAX Hornady's. I loaded up 2 three round sets and fired them and it scared me they were so good. The second set plopped into one slightly larger than .250 hole. I loaded up 2 more three round setsjust to check and all 6 went into another .300" hole and I quit testing. It is a maximun load of H4350 from the Hodgdon #27 manual seated out as far as I can and still hold the buller in the case. I have it sighted in at +3" at 150 yds and if I can see it in my Leupold 6-20 Target scope, it's history.

I was totally pi**ed because I bought the rifle just in time for load development for a rodent hunt. I missed the hunt, no biggy, but I'm well pleased with the rifle now. I won't buy another Remington as long as I live or recommend Remington to anyone I like, but this rifle will stay in my good graces for a long time to come.