Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Bad batch of Lapua Brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2014, 10:20 PM
Gold Member

Bad batch of Lapua Brass

I purchased some .243 Lapua brass for my .243 AI I fireformed the cases shooting the 80gr Berger loaded with 39.0gr of IMR 4064 While fireforming I noticed smoke coming from the around the bolt. I could see where there was some black marks around the Primer.
The Smith that built the Rifle chambers his Ackleys so that you don't need to seat your bullet out into the Lands, that way you can load up and go shooting.

Now that the brass is fireformed I was loading up tonight and found that 30% of the Primer pockets are so large that I can drop the Fed 210's right in .............the rest have the normal seating pressure .................

The last batch of Lapua brass I put through the ringer running some really hot loads and all the primer pockets stayed tight...................

Im going to contact Lapua and see what they have to say.

What experience have you had or did I do something wrong............................................

I talked to my Smith right before he shipped me the RIfle and asked about using Lapua brass....... his comment was that he found Winchester brass to be just as accurate and a whole lot less expensive..........................

Last edited by Greg Duerr; 07-29-2014 at 10:24 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 07-30-2014, 01:41 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Bad batch of Lapua Brass

Did you chronograph these loads?
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:06 AM
Platinum Member

I just looked at Hodgdon's load data and a max load for a 243 and a 80 gr bullet with IMR 4064 is 36.3 gr. You used 39 gr. The black around the primers is because you have gas leaking there. I think you destroyed your brass with too hot a load.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:09 AM

I have no idea of what's going on in your rifle but I've been using 38.5 gr of IMR 4064 with a 87 gr V-Max in my 243 win for years with no problems. My old Sierra manual lists the max load for a 243 win with a 85 gr bullet IMR 4064 at 85.6 gr
Old 07-30-2014, 08:51 PM
Gold Member

The Smith test fired the Rifle before it left his shop and he was shooting 49.0gr of RL 22 and the 105gr Berger. He advised that I start out with a load of 47.5 After fire forming...............Which I did. The Berger manual gave a max load of 40.0 IMR 4064 shooting the 80gr Berger Varmint Bullet, I was using 38.0....................I did notice that when seating the primers that on a lot of cases the primers went in with very little resistance.
Today I found 20 cases that you could just drop the primer into the primer pocket. In all respect this is just bad brass. I would not have thought much about it but at $1 a case. That's inexcusable.
Travis told me that he shoots Winchester brass and finds that it shoots just as good as Lapua.

Saturday I will be shooting with 48.7gr of Reloader 22 and Cronographing the loads. Four five shot groups and then four five shot groups shooting 49.0gr.

I have mixed feelings about the Lapua brass but will give them the benefit of my bad experience.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

I don't understand why you're fireforming with a max load.
Would the cases not form with a lower load?
Is this a new barrel/first firing with the load?
Old 07-30-2014, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

If your swelling the case head on Lapua brass your running significant pressure and should stop doing what your doing and do a proper load development before you hurt yourself!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"