Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

B.c. Crazy!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member

B.c. Crazy!

I am as much a promoter for high b.c. as most of you for long range hunting as being of high importance, but lets talk realistically here! First of all, we all realize the benefit of b.c. for long range for less bullet drop and wind drift, higher retained energy, and better expansion due to higher retained velocity. Having stated these truths, what I am concerned about is that some of the new, less experienced, shooters can easily get caught up in the b.c. craze and bypass some very good and often "better performing" bullets for there hunting bullet selection. I think the main reason for this occurring is, what exactly is long range? First of all, it depends upon what rifle, cartridge combo are you using and what is the intended game animal? We have people shooting elk with everything from 6mm's to 375's and larger with mv's of 2500' to over 3500'+! There are obvious differences here in what long range should be. Also the question becomes, is long range 400 yards or over 1000? For some of us who have worked our way up over a period of years, it may be 1000 yards or more. For some of the newer long range guys, it may well be 400-500 yards. The first consideration should not ALWAYS be b.c.! It is my belief that there are several better choices out there that were made for hunting that are being overlooked for higher b.c. bullets. Most of the time this occurs with capable long range elk rifles. Let's use the 300 WM for an example: Why do we need a super high b.c. bullet in the 100 to even 700 yard range which will likely perform far less reliably than a moderately high b.c. bonded bullet which is made for hunting? Most of the shooters that are qualified to take 1000 yard shots are realistically shooting most game at far less than that with bullets that are likely inferior to what is available. I'm only throwing this out there to make us think a little more clearly and especially to help the new guys not get caught up in the "b.c. at all cost" mentality that I think is a danger that currently exists. I know this is coming from a high b.c. hunting bullet maker, but from my stands, I know pretty much what my range is going to be. What do you guys think?.........Rich
Old 01-28-2012, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: B.c. Crazy!

I don't think it's much of an issue for a couple of reasons. First, I would suspect that less than a few percent of the total rifle hunting population know about or cares about ballistic coefficients. Secondly, based upon my experience with the heavy for caliber, high BC hunting VLD's from Berger, they they don't give up much if anything in performance. I have had equal and in a lot of cases better performance at the shorter hunting distances with VLD's then many of the popular performance bullets. IMHO .

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 01-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I don't think it's much of an issue for a couple of reasons. First, I would suspect that less than a few percent of the total rifle hunting population know about or cares about ballistic coefficients. Secondly, based upon my experience with the heavy for caliber, high BC hunting VLD's from Berger, they they don't give up much if anything in performance. I have had equal and in a lot of cases better performance at the shorter hunting distances with VLD's then many of the popular performance bullets. IMHO .
+1 coudnt have said it better myself. It is the nonexpanding breed that has gotten me into many long tracking jobs.

Jeff
Old 01-29-2012, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I suspect you are correct concerning the general population but I was thinking more of the people that visit this forum. I also would agree that VLD's are at their best the bigger and heavier they are i.e. 300 gr. .338. The point I was more trying to make was that I do think there are a lot of less experienced shooters that are new to the forum that probably think VLD's are the end all for every caliber weapon in every situation because of all the press we give them, but maybe it's just me........Rich
Old 01-29-2012, 07:09 AM
Platinum Member

I admit I am obsessed with high BC. I am always crunching numbers to see what the wind drift will be with a particular bullet. A 490 yd shot at an elk in a 20 mph crosswind using the low BC TSX still haunts me. I have never liked holding many feet OFF an animal compensating for crosswinds to make the shot. My guess put the bullet through both shoulders and I got the animal. Right after that I began to use the higher BC 200 gr accubond in my 300 RUM. So my quest will continue trying to get the very best I can from my hunting rigs using the highest BCs available.

I agree with Grayfox that most hunters don't know anything about the BC of their chosen bullets. I am talking it up to all sorts of shooters at the range and they don't even know what BC means. The few that are using VLDs know this information. If they visit here they will learn these things quickly or leave puzzled.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
I suspect you are correct concerning the general population but I was thinking more of the people that visit this forum. I also would agree that VLD's are at their best the bigger and heavier they are i.e. 300 gr. .338. The point I was more trying to make was that I do think there are a lot of less experienced shooters that are new to the forum that probably think VLD's are the end all for every caliber weapon in every situation because of all the press we give them, but maybe it's just me........Rich
I believe your question is a valid one as I had thought about it myself, not only relative to the shooters on this site ,but also at a club I belong to that does a lot of long range shooting with a constant flow of new shooters wanting to enter the sport. I have been pleasantly surprised with both venues. While there can always be a few zingers that show up, it seems to be the exception, and they usually evacuate quickly. I find most new shooters that are serious tend to be more conservative and inquisitive. I think the first time they look at a target at ranges longer than they are used to shooting, they rarely expect to hit the target. Once they stick their toe in the water,
and like it, if they weren't optimized at first, they will tend to bone up quickly and stick with it. I also think that the far bigger variable a new guy has to deal with is refining their shooting skills to actually hitting distant targets. During this period they usually learn about the fine points of load development.
Just me looking throuh my rose colored shooting glasses.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 01-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Silver Member

im new to the whole long range thing . even have a lapua on the way mostly for it power and hog hunting though . i do want to find someone to load me some rocky mountain 325s they have a bc of 1.035 and carry about 2500-2700 ft lbs @ 1000 yards launched at 2700 fps . but mostly plan on going with either 265 ttsx or 280gr lrx