close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

B@C A-5 stock......Good or bad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

Re: B@C A-5 stock......Good or bad

Don't know about manners, but my mcmillans have to be pillared and bedded by my smith. They don't have the alum. bedding like my B&C medalist. The medalist I have is still skim bedded though. Manners has a pretty nice stock out for 2010 you might want to check out. Oh by the way I have never got my mcmillan stocks in 4 months more like 6 months.

They are all good stocks. I like the looks and feel of my Mcmillan better. It comes down to what you like the best.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran

Last edited by blipelt; 02-21-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: more
    Unread 02-21-2010, 03:58 PM
    Silver Member

Thanks Jawz i will be lookin forward to hearing how it sizes up....and your right weight isnt an issue for what we do

Unread 02-21-2010, 04:06 PM
    Silver Member

i see..... so i have felt a mcmillian a-5 before and loved it havent got my hands on a manners but there pretty much the same arent they...6 months huh well i guess if u want quality your gonna pay weather its in time or money
    Unread 02-21-2010, 05:06 PM
    Platinum Member

if you've got a remington action or clone, Gene Sears supply carries inventory of mcmillan stocks. If you buy through their retail site, you can get flat rate shipping just $4.95.

McMillan Rifle Stocks
    Unread 02-21-2010, 06:52 PM
    Silver Member

thanks for the info any idea on cost
    Unread 02-21-2010, 09:42 PM
    Gold Member

I have stocks made by McMillan, H-S Precision, High Tech Specialties and Bell and Carlson. Here is how I grade them. McMillan A+, H-S A, High Tech B and B&C are easily A-. I look first at B&C first now because I like them so well. A little heavy but very stout. If ordered through rifle-accuracy.com you can get them installed with mercury recoil reducers if you shoot bangers. I usually order when I start ordering componenets for build and have always received them in plenty of time for assembly. One bit of advice for stocks with bedding blocks- SKIM BED

Last edited by coyotezapper; 02-21-2010 at 09:47 PM.
    Unread 02-22-2010, 12:02 AM
    Platinum Member

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coyotezapper View Post
    I have stocks made by McMillan, H-S Precision, High Tech Specialties and Bell and Carlson. Here is how I grade them. McMillan A+, H-S A, High Tech B and B&C are easily A-. I look first at B&C first now because I like them so well. A little heavy but very stout. If ordered through rifle-accuracy.com you can get them installed with mercury recoil reducers if you shoot bangers. I usually order when I start ordering componenets for build and have always received them in plenty of time for assembly. One bit of advice for stocks with bedding blocks- SKIM BED
    I'm interested in why you say to skim bed. I know some others say the same thing and some say just bed the recoil lug. I'm heistant about skim bedding my Sendero HS stocks because I've read it might flake up? What product do you use to skim bed yours?

Hope this isn't too far off topic Rich

-Mark