Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

ATTN: sr90 velocity loss with 2" shorter barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2002, 10:15 PM
Silver Member

Re: ATTN: sr90 velocity loss with 2" shorter barrel

sr90,
That was a 4 shot group that measured .058" the best I can measure it with my eye and a std set of calipers @ 100yds. The first shot was out of an oily bore that sat all winter and went about a half a bullet hole to the left, and the next four just litterly punch the same hole. I had 5 rounds left over from last match season. I figured I would double check my 100yd zero settings and shoot these last 5 cases so I could load them up for the upcoming matches. Shot right before dark and it was calm. It was dark enough my chrono wouldn't work from low light.

The rifle (pictured below) was built by David Tooley, 6.5x55AI chambering (simply the Swede case with a 40 degree Ackley shoulder), using a Kelbly Panda LBRP action, jewel trigger, Lilja 30" - 9" twist barrel, Kelbly rings, Weaver T24 scope, aluminum pilled bedded into a Shehane Tracker stock made out of Obeche laminated wood from Africa. This rifle is nicknamed Little Woody. (I'll refrain from explaination on a public message board as to the true meaning of that nickname. ;^)) This rifle has shot a .436" 6 shot group at 250yds and has 7 relay wins and placed 6th in the LG Group Aggregate at the Pa World Open last year. The smallest 5 shot 1000yd group is 3.562". I had a 4.5" group that had 4 shots in less than 2" with 1 going right to give me the overall 4.5" group. This rifle has done nothing but shoot tight groups since day #1.

I think it's a keeper,
Steve

[ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: Steve Shelp ]
Old 02-14-2002, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

Steve,..........you have beautiful weapons! Oh, very accurate ones too!
Old 02-15-2002, 09:40 AM
Silver Member

Thanks Brent. My Competition guns have been a long time coming, while raising 2 young boys and spending 4 yrs in the service. E5 pay with kids doesn't leave much left over to buy toys with. But that's behind us now.
I've always liked good looking rifles and never really cared for the fiberglass look of competition guns. But a rifle has to shoot first then look good in my book. But I'm a tradionalists, so when I orderd the stock above from Bill Shehane, I ordered his regular brown/brown laminated wood stock that has a good reputation. I figured if I can't have walnut, I'll go with soemthing that is stable and accurate and make it look like a good piece of wood the best I can. Well Bill surprised me with this Obeche wood. He just got it in and I got the first ST-1000 stock made out of it I believe. It is pretty and very functional. The finish on that stock is a Dupont automotive clearcoat and is rugged! No solvent will touch it.

And the accuracy isn't bad to boot. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks again and have a good day!
Steve
Old 02-15-2002, 02:57 PM
Platinum Member

Hello Steve,

Did you inlet, bed it and do the finsh work yourself too?
Old 02-15-2002, 07:04 PM
Silver Member

Brent,
I normally do my own stock work with bedding and finishing. But this one I didn't. The short story of why is...... I'm color blind and Bill Shehane and Dave Tooley had themselves a laugh at my expense because of that. They kept saying oh you'll like it, and dropping hints it was a purple/orange/yellow/etc or something really off the wall laminate and I wouldn't know the difference. So Dave did the bedding and Bill had the finish applied so he could surpise me with the completed rifle. And obviosuly it wasn't orange/purple/yellow. It was a nice surprise to say the least!

I still owe them for that one now that I think of it.

Steve
Old 02-16-2002, 03:41 AM
Platinum Member

Steve,

It is most definatly oarnge/purple/yellow, they HAVE fooled you.

No, no I'm kidding. My foreman at work is color blind too. I give him a hard time when we get loads of color coded pipe in and he asks me what color they are. Differant color pipe goes to differant places depending on what the manifest says. This hunting season I thought my Leica binos were messed up in one lens, I flipped them upside down and found one eye (my right) not the lens doesn't pick up greens as well, instead they look more yellow or maybe it's the other way around it was fall. I have never tested color blind though either for flying or my CDL, strange.

I would love to learn how to do that type of work too is why I ask. Where do you start, what tools, finishes etc. are used is what I often wonder.

The BROWN/BROWN stock is a very nice piece.
Old 02-16-2002, 11:34 AM
Silver Member

Brent,
Do I have to add your name to the get revenge list also? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I didn't know I was color blind until highschool. Then when I went into the service, they did the official test and I failed miserably. But yet I can tell colors. All depends on which colors and the shade and contrast of them.

As for the stock and bedding work.... I refinshed a couple cheap stocks on single barrel shotguns when I was a teenager and really grew into it from there. Now I bed all of my rifles and have even done some neighbors and friends and a little metal work but not much. I'm not a gunsmith by any means, more like a tinkerer that has patience. Got a couple of checkering tools now also and messing with that.

If there's anything else I can help with, or answer more questions feel free to email directly at my email address in my profile here.

Steve