Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

AR conversions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2004, 05:53 PM
Silver Member

AR conversions

I was just looking at some AR-15's and was thinking that it would be a little boring to just go with the same old 223. Looking at Accuracy Systems Inc, the offer a few conversions. The ones that caught my eye were the 204 Ruger, 6x45 and the 6 PPC(it may have been a BR though). Anyways, what do you guys would be the better 6mm conversion. I know the 6PPC is a great shooter, but how would it cycle through the AR. The 6x45 is golden, all it is is a simple neck up from the 223 case. Anyone have any experience with either two cartridges in an AR platform? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: AR conversions

7 Ultra

If not wanting a 223 and wanting great performance out to 1000 yards target wise, while providing a decent deer round, hands down the best bet is the 6.5 Grendel.

Check out competitionshootingsports.com should link you to a source.

The 6.5 Grendel I've shot a fair amount in its development stage and its a super round. AMU teams are playing with it a lot and are very happy. I was instrumental in their use of the 90 jlks in the 223 rounds and they were very happy with that. If they are happy with the Grendel(just a 6.5 PPC basically) then its a great round like I knew it would be.

Arne over at Competition shooting is a super guy and will keep you in the right direction. It beats the heck out of the other choices. Though the 6ppc is pretty decent, and the 6.8 POS round necked to 6mm is not a bad choice either. Its just that the 6.5 bullet is a better choice, IMHO.

Jeff
Old 12-15-2004, 08:48 PM
Silver Member

Re: AR conversions

[ QUOTE ]
the 6.8 POS round necked to 6mm is not a bad choice either. Its just that the 6.5 bullet is a better choice, IMHO.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

What ever would you mean POS round? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]