Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

APS Raptor Hunter Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: APS Raptor Hunter Rifle

That's a rifle I might buy... Offered lefty???

My current 30 rum is 9# with a 6-18x nikon on top without a brake and I'll go prone without thinking. A braked 8#er would be cake. I'll even shoot prone with my 8# 375 with 300 grain without a brake. Will you go no brake for those of us that like the recoil??

Last edited by Lefty7mmstw; 08-20-2012 at 10:27 PM. Reason: rum weight comment
Old 08-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
Kirby, that thing should be called the rocky mountain raptor! That's what us guys that walk 10 miles in the steep and deep need. I'm a little suprised that your goal is a 1/2 mile. My 338rum naked weighs 8lbs, and I'm here to tell you, she is smokin accurate out to 1300yds [which is my personnal comfort zone] if I do my part. We all know that lighter rifles are harder to shoot accurate at distance, but with practice is very doable. Your raptor hunter will appeal to alot of guys in my neck of the woods. Nice build!
In my opinion, in most rough terrain, shooting from less then ideal shooting positions, an 8 lb rifle is hard to get consistant accuracy with at +1000 yards. Never said it is not possible but there are alot more stories about +1000 yard 8 lb rifles then actual rifles that will perform at +1000 thats that weigh 8 lbs.

Plus, I dropped two 3/4 moa groups out of this rifle at 1052 yards. Thats sub 8" groups at 1052 yards. OR should I say minute of rockchuck at that range. I certainly thinks its more then up to the challange of longer range. Simple fact is, very few shooters are proficent enough to take an 8 lb bare rifle weight rifle and be efficent at ranges much past 1/2 mile in field shooting positions and conditions. I include myself in that statement.

My lightweight 7mm AM is 7 3/4 lbs bare rifle weight and it has taken 29 head of big game at ranges past 400 yards. well over a dozen have been taken at past 600 yards and there have been 4 taken at ranges past 1/2 mile with this rifle. Still, I have passed on many more shots then I have taken at these ranges and am proud to say no aminal has ever walked away from this rifle when I decided to engage a big game animal with it and very few have needed more then one shot. Still, Its rare that I will take a +1/2 mile shot. Farthest with my 7mm AM is 938 yards.

There are some gifted shooters out there for sure, they are not the norm however and you have to be truely special to pilot an 8 lb rifle consistantly at 1300 yards.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
That's a rifle I might buy... Offered lefty???

My current 30 rum is 9# with a 6-18x nikon on top without a brake and I'll go prone without thinking. A braked 8#er would be cake. I'll even shoot prone with my 8# 375 with 300 grain without a brake. Will you go no brake for those of us that like the recoil??
Certainly left hand is an option, no problem at all.

If you want to deal with the recoil, thats your choice to go naked muzzle.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-22-2012, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Nice looking rifle!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

Great New rifle Kirby, Keep up the great designs and rifles!!! I lived in Great Falls for quite a while and all over MT over the years. Im here in N Idaho now and have seen Shawns rifles also. So Im gonna have to save up and get 2 now! I get back to Lewistown / Grass Range Country most years to shoot P. dogs at fairly long range like we did when I lived there. Having a great custom like these would be good for all game and ultra long range P Dogs .
Old 08-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Gold Member

for some reason, I keep coming back and staring at this rifle...my future finances may be in trouble...
Old 08-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

LOL!!

There is a method to my madness!!

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com