Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

On Friday I received my APS resurrected Remington LSS in 7mm RUM and all I can say is WOW. Everything everyone else has said about Kirbyís work is true.

Here are the specs
APS trued bolt receiver etc.
30Ē Lilja #7 fluted
Defensive Edge muzzle break
Rifle Basix trigger 1 ĺ lbs.
GreTan firing pin assembly
Sako extractor
Factory LSS stock opened up for #7 barrel
Nightforce NSX 5.5-22X Ė 56
Badger 20 MOA base
Burris Extreme rings (medium)
Harris swivel bi-pod with leg notches and Pod Loc

Total weight is 13.5 lbs.

After 30 shot break in and load development with the 200 gn Wildcat RBBT ULDís Iíve settled on 85 grains of Retumbo. Iím getting 3050 fps with absolutely no pressure and very respectable accuracy. I may decide to push things a bit harder as I know I can surpass the 3100 fps mark and accuracy is just as good.

200 yards

Last night there was zero wind and I really wanted to get to 1000 yards. So I set up a target, drove back to where I could shoot, carried everything 300 yards to the top of a hill, settled in (bipod on the front and bags in the back), and quickly took three shots. I could see the dust coming from behind the target so I knew I was at least on the paper. I was very happy with the results (may not be that good in some peoples eyes, but Iím excited). I will admit there is probably room for improvement (my shooting abilities [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

I'll be out tonight for more 600 & 1000 testing.

Unread 09-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member
Re: APS 7mm RUM

Looks like Kirby put another one together with all the right touches. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

You'll have a ball and it looks like a pretty good list of components so it should be nothing but fun from here on out. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Keep us posted when you get more rounds down range and congratulations of a great looking gun.
Unread 09-05-2006, 02:12 PM

Great looking rig!! Kirby is going to have to start paying us for advertising [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

What twist is the bbl???
Unread 09-05-2006, 02:33 PM
Silver Member

What yardage was that 1st grouping pic? 200 yards?! Thats an excellent group for just getting it back and playing with it for the 1st time since it was worked on.

Awesome rifle. I've always wanted a LSS, that barrel makes it all the more sexier for sure. How do you like Shawns brake? Im sure youre as pleased as others that have it installed on their sticks [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The time is near when I contact Kirby and send him some toys. Seeing these pics and hearing such stories makes for little sleep at night! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Poor mans LR rifle=Rem 700P.308/Elite 4200 6-24x50/Millet base/Burris Xtreme rings/Eagle stockpack/Harris 9-13" bipod
Unread 09-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Gold Member

OK, will people stop posting pics of Kirby's work. It is making the wait that much longer.

Just kidding, very nice. I always have liked the laminate and stainless combo.
Unread 09-05-2006, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Good looking rifle, I am going to have Kirby build me a Tactical style 338 Allen Mag. I have heard he does excellent work. I already know he gives excellent customer service, I can't wait to have one of his rifles. Have fun with your new 7mm RUM APS rig.

Unread 09-06-2006, 05:24 AM
Platinum Member

Word of mouth is the best advertising as far as I'm concerned and everyone here does a fantastic job.