Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Anyone shoot a Mosin Nagant at long range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 09:36 PM
Silver Member

Anyone shoot a Mosin Nagant at long range?

I was just curious if anyone on here shoots long range with a Mosin. I have one that I shoot for fun. It's quite an enjoyable gun to shoot. And pretty accurate with hand loads.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Anyone shoot a Mosin Nagant at long range?

isn't the 7.62x54 russian still their sniper round??
Old 02-28-2013, 11:14 PM
Gold Member

I shoot an iron sighted nagant out to mid range. Fun old m38 carbine. I can only pull 2-2.5 moa after 100 and I did not want to invest in it so it is my only Iron sighted bolt gun. Best 100 dollar rifle out there but I would not want 1k tied up in one (scoped) and they are not easy to scope well.
As far as the 7.62x54r cartridge goes: it is very capable. My psl dragunov is what got me hooked on long range in the first place. I have run it out effectively in good conditions to 1200 meters. Surprisingly effective after a couple thousand practice rounds.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:33 AM
Silver Member

We shot one at 430 yards over Christmas with the iron sights. It was a lot of fun! FWIW the iron sights were not correct for the yardage on the first shots. We had to adjust, but it was surprisingly accurate after we dialed in.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:53 AM
Silver Member

That's great. I bought one for $100 and it was beat up pretty bad after I cleaned all the Cosmo off and could actually see it. I started working on it and was surprised at how accurate it was. I enjoyed shooting it so much I ended up sporterizing it to make it more comfortable to shoot. I'm having a hard time finding bullets and powder right now. I have to say of all my guns I probably enjoy shooting this one the most. Don't really know why. I guess it's just a challenge thing, trying to wring out every drop of accuracy. A few weeks ago when it was nice out was the best group I've ever shot with it so far. I think some of it was luck and I really don't think I could replicate it, but at 750 yards I shot a 4 shot group ( thin barrel heats up too much after 4) that measured just under 2". I'll put up some pics of the finished gun when I get to my computer. The finished gun I have invested about $500 in, that includes the $100 for the gun. My next outing I'm going to try it at 1000 and see what I can get out of her. I did kill a really nice 4-1/2 year old 9 point buck this year with it at 345 yards. Put a hole right through his heart.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:27 AM
Platinum Member

That's amazing. You always hear how innacurate they are. Probably the surplus ammo everyone uses. I have been toying with the idea of picking one of the sniper rigs that you see listed from time to time. Might just get one to play with.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 03-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Silver Member

Greyfox
I love shooting mine. I take it with me everytime I go shooting. The surplus ammo is junk. My gun shoots like 9 MOA at 100 yards with surplus and .3 MOA with hand loads. The hand loads I shoot are a 174grn Match King .311 over 42.5 Grains of Varget. Id have to look in my load books for my COL but I know its seated about .02 off the lans. I didn't take a picture of the group, but I may at lunch time. I keep the steel dinger in the back of my truck, cuz my truck mostly just goes shooting. Here's some pics of the gun as it sits now.

Things I did to it:
ATI Mossy Oak stock
Timney Trigger
Cut and recrown to 26"
Painted all steel in Ruger Matte Gray Alumahyde II
Rock Solid Scope mount and Bolt Body
I currently have it topped with a Bushnell Elite Tactical 3200 10x40
Have a CTS custom label for fast dialing
-I also made a custom cheek piece out of PVC pipe to give me good eye alignment since the RSI mount sits kinda high
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Anyone shoot a Mosin Nagant at long range?-p1010724.jpg   Anyone shoot a Mosin Nagant at long range?-p1010704.jpg  

Anyone shoot a Mosin Nagant at long range?-p1010725.jpg   Anyone shoot a Mosin Nagant at long range?-p1010713.jpg