Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2010, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKidd View Post
How did u know it was me in the Youtube vid?
I saw where you posted your WY pronghorn hunt here. I watched the video. I recognized the "zsteinle" name and remembered having seen other youtube videos of "long range shooting."

When I heard your voice on the video where you guys shot the pronghorns at 515 and 827 yards, I recognized it. I clicked on zsteinle on youtube and sure enough there was the previous video I had seen shooting at just over 1100 yards.

I'm assuming the "zsteinle" is "zachary."
Old 10-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Silver Member

Sid your rifle is *sick*!!!

What a great cartridge - good find Broz.

I'm a big fan of 7mm, but never considered the really hot ones (STW/RUM/Dakota) b/c i don't want a barrel burning monster. However, this combo has got me thinking. I've an old Rem700 action and have wanted to do a rebarrel on it. Historically thought of staying with the 7mmRM, but this 7mm-300Win looks pretty sweet!
Old 10-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

Love my Warp 7!! Use it most of the time in Texas. A little small for ELK so I use several bigger 30's and 338's for that. The 150 SMK shooks .3 if I do my part.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
I saw where you posted your WY pronghorn hunt here. I watched the video. I recognized the "zsteinle" name and remembered having seen other youtube videos of "long range shooting."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post

When I heard your voice on the video where you guys shot the pronghorns at 515 and 827 yards, I recognized it. I clicked on zsteinle on youtube and sure enough there was the previous video I had seen shooting at just over 1100 yards.

I'm assuming the "zsteinle" is "zachary."

Derek M,

Yeah, we try. Guess we got lucky that day. Haha. Sometimes getting set up in time for a good shot is tough. We missed earlier that day at just over 1000 yards due to ranging over the goat. That would have been awesome. But cool glad you like our vids. We got a few more that we gotta edit up and get up there, couple of coyotes to go along with the antelope. Also hoping for a big whitetail kill on video too, but we will see if that happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Sid, from what I have learned with the one I did, you must be using RP or WW brass? I just want to say if you ever go to RWS brass back her off to close to 70 grains and work up again. The lower case volume of the RWS sends the pressure up... way up! I think when we changed from RP to RWS we dropped like 4 grains and still had he same velocity as we did with 4 gr more in RP brass. The RWS weighs 48 gr more per case and is some very tough brass. After fireformed it really helped us with lowering our run out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post

I have seen my buddies son (12) poke an antelope in the heart at 650 yards with the 7mm/300 win. and the 180 Berger bullet preformance was great. I cant wait to see how it does on their Elk and Muley's this year.

Jeff

Broz,
Got a couple more questions on the 7mm-300 for you. What sorta groups were you guys seeing at 100 yrds with the berger? Also was the gun throated specifically for the VLD bullets? Also if you remember, how far off the lands were the VLDs when they shot the best? Where you seeing alot of runout with the RM brass?(You are right, this is what I am using.)

I guess I ask because, I was talking to a fella today who has shot alot of Bergers and swears that they will only shoot on or in the lands if the throat is not reamed for them.

When I shot the antelope I didnt feel like a had a good enough load worked up for the 180 vld yet. I only had the gun for about 5 days before I went on that hunt. So, the best load that I was able to come up with for the gun was with the AMAX's which was just under half minute.

Now I think I am on the right track with the 180 VLDs. I hope so, sorta built the gun for these bullets! I did the test that Berger recommends and got a group to shoot right at a half minute. The bullets were loaded .083 off the lands of my rifle. So I think I am going to mess around with that a bit, and take a few rounds +- .002 from there and see if they tighten up. I also gotta drop the charge of H-1000 a couple tenths since I am still getting a bit of resisitance on the bolt.

Defiance Rebel 338 Norma Mag 24" Benchmark Barrel
Manners T4 stock
G7 NF NXS 5.5-22X50MM

Savage LA 7SAUM 20" Benchmark Barrel
Manners T4
308 Varminter 2.0 Suppressor
Sightron SIII 6.5-24X50MM LRMOA

Remington 700 SA 22-243 Win
26" SS Benchmark Barrel 1-8 Twist
Grey Bull Precision Stock
Built by Hazer@Bison Barrels in Gillette,WY

Tikka T3 Lite 270 WSM
Greybull Precision Scope
Old 10-20-2010, 11:48 PM
Silver Member

Finally got mine up and running too. I put all my load data and notes here:
The 7mm Practical. A Practical Magnum.

Last edited by Teh Fixer; 01-11-2014 at 07:43 AM. Reason: fixed broken link
Old 10-21-2010, 02:52 AM
Silver Member

Nate, that is awesome. Thanks a bunch for all the information. Your page has been bookmarked! You were getting some really good groups. I will have to try some of that with my own rifle.

I know the VLD's will shoot better as you demonstrated, I think I just gotta work on it more.

With your throat reamer, that was designed for the VLD's? or just so that clients can fit their bullets in the mag box?

Defiance Rebel 338 Norma Mag 24" Benchmark Barrel
Manners T4 stock
G7 NF NXS 5.5-22X50MM

Savage LA 7SAUM 20" Benchmark Barrel
Manners T4
308 Varminter 2.0 Suppressor

Remington 700 SA 22-243 Win
26" SS Benchmark Barrel 1-8 Twist
Grey Bull Precision Stock
Built by Hazer@Bison Barrels in Gillette,WY

Tikka T3 Lite 270 WSM
Greybull Precision Scope
Old 10-21-2010, 04:57 AM
Silver Member

Hi Sid, the throat reamer is a mix of both features. I wanted a seperate reamer so that the COAL would suit client rifle magazine lengths. At the moment I am working on a Sako so the COAL is 40 thou shorter than my COAL which suits my M700. Along with this, yes, the reamer has a very shallow leade angle designed for the VLD and Amax style bullets. The downside of this specific angle is that (generally) I am finding it difficult to obtain optimum accuracy with the SST, a bullet I quite enjoy using. These difficulties appear to be the same regardless of cartridge design or caliber. In other words, on a week to week basis, I find that if a barrel has its leade cut to match/target bullet configuration, it can be finicky with certain, stout jacketed hunting bullet designs. The most forgiving sporting bullets tend to be, Speer, the traditional Interlock and the Partition. I am hoping that in time, by experimenting with seating depths (SST), I can learn more.

As for the accuracy, I think I have been very lucky that everything has come together so well, magnum recoil is not usually conducive to sub .5 MOA accuracy. Good barrels, a good cartridge and attention to my own work habits and shooting habits of course. The other important factor was keeping an eye on velocity spreads, keeping the ES down low. The standard primer is definitely my pick in this regard. I actually tried one of my extremely accurate but high ES loads at 600 yards and the group was abysmal, highlighting the importance of a low ES.

I have got some U.S 869 here which I need to test. Not sure if it will be worth it though. I reckon the case will need around 85 grains-87 grains and have no idea of what velocities and accuracy to expect. Just have to try it and see.

Cheers.

Last edited by Kiwi Nate; 10-21-2010 at 05:11 AM. Reason: 'match'- qualify wording