Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics


Reply

Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #526  
Old 05-30-2014, 10:20 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South FL
Posts: 76
Re: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

66 gr of H1000 behind a 168 in a 7-300 using roomy Norma brass sounds like a soft load. Can't imagine getting pressure signs at that level. I can double check it in QuickLOAD when I get home tonight.

As a similar reference point, using my 7mm Valkyrie (improved 7-300 WM with 4 gr more H2O capacity) with WW Super brass, a 180 Hybrid, 82 gr Retumbo, and a .060" jump, I am just starting to see pressure signs on my Russian LRM primers. Your load is using a lighter bullet, essentially equal case capacity (roomy Norma in 7-300 vs. thicker WW Super in 7mm Valkyrie), and a MUCH lighter charge of a slightly slower powder. No reason for pressure signs.

Does your approx. 3.400" COL create a particularly tight jam with your throat length? What primers are you using? Was the bolt difficult to open with the 70 gr loads?
Reply With Quote
  #527  
Old 05-30-2014, 01:54 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,937
Re: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

Our typical load with H-1000 and 180's is between 72 and 77 grains depending on brass used, case volume and powder lot. If you see pressure at 66 gr I would be looking for another issue.

I ignore cratered primers. I have learned that it is all about over sized firing pin bores and seldom about pressure. I have customs that show no cratering even when hard bolt lift is there from over pressure.

Knock the primers out to see if they are only a little flattened or if they are muffin topped. If they are only flat faced and no ejector marks or increased bolt lift on that soft Norma brass, I feel you are fine.

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #528  
Old 05-31-2014, 12:30 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Honolulu,HI
Posts: 149
Re: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckhammer View Post
66 gr of H1000 behind a 168 in a 7-300 using roomy Norma brass sounds like a soft load. Can't imagine getting pressure signs at that level. I can double check it in QuickLOAD when I get home tonight.

As a similar reference point, using my 7mm Valkyrie (improved 7-300 WM with 4 gr more H2O capacity) with WW Super brass, a 180 Hybrid, 82 gr Retumbo, and a .060" jump, I am just starting to see pressure signs on my Russian LRM primers. Your load is using a lighter bullet, essentially equal case capacity (roomy Norma in 7-300 vs. thicker WW Super in 7mm Valkyrie), and a MUCH lighter charge of a slightly slower powder. No reason for pressure signs.

Does your approx. 3.400" COL create a particularly tight jam with your throat length? What primers are you using? Was the bolt difficult to open with the 70 gr loads?
Chuck,
I agree on the 66 gr load.
To me it seemed like a soft load as well with Norma brass.
I compared the load density between the RWS & Norma,using the same load side by side, the Norma density was much lower with both the 66 - 70 gr loads.
I thought i haded in the bag.
But after firing 2 loads with the Norma, 68 and 70 grains,the primers were still cratering on both loads.bolt lift wasn't to bad.
I even tried sitting the bullets a little deaper in the case thinking that maybe i was jamming them.but there was no rifling marks on eather loads when initialy chambering and taking the round out for inspection.

I even tried 71gr load with the Norma brass,thinking that maybe the low density might be the cause of op,but the primers were flat and cratering again..

Last edited by safariexpress; 05-31-2014 at 01:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #529  
Old 05-31-2014, 12:49 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Honolulu,HI
Posts: 149
Re: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Our typical load with H-1000 and 180's is between 72 and 77 grains depending on brass used, case volume and powder lot. If you see pressure at 66 gr I would be looking for another issue.

I ignore cratered primers. I have learned that it is all about over sized firing pin bores and seldom about pressure. I have customs that show no cratering even when hard bolt lift is there from over pressure.

Knock the primers out to see if they are only a little flattened or if they are muffin topped. If they are only flat faced and no ejector marks or increased bolt lift on that soft Norma brass, I feel you are fine.

Jeff
Broz,

66 gr to me seems like a low charge as well ,like i metioned to Chuckhammer ,even with RWS brass.
The rifle has a brand new PTG bolt and firing pin assembly,so i kinda ruled thar out,but i will check it myself.
On the original loads of 67-71 with RWS brass,the primers were quite flat and cratered,din't check after i knock them out.
I thing i noticed was there were no ejector marks on the cases ,accept the 71 gr load had very slight mark and bolt lift was a little tight.
I'm going to go back and check loaded round OAL .the problem may there.
But i felt that 3.400 was adequate.
The smith told me that its chambered for the Berger 180s.
I hear that the 7mm don't to run with tightneck chambers.
Reply With Quote
  #530  
Old 05-31-2014, 08:37 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 856
Re: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

If it is chambered for 180 Berger's then your OAL would be more like 3.7"+. Jumping .300" wont do anything for your accuracy and it will reduce your working capacity by quite a bit. I would figure out the max OAL to the rifling and start from there.
Reply With Quote
  #531  
Old 06-02-2014, 12:43 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lincoln Co., NV
Posts: 175
Re: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by safariexpress View Post
Need some advice with my 7-300.

New build ,Remi action,broughton 5c 1-8 twist.7-300 312 nk.

Been having some pressure problems during initial fireforming.
Sarting load was 168smk 68-70 gr of H1000 with RWS brass.
The builder told me it ts 312 neck chamber.
Tried turning necks for more clerance and din't change much.flat primers and cratering. bullets seated at 3.400. accuracy seem to be pretty good considering.
Second time around went with Norma brass same load and same results.
Turned the necks on the norma brass as well.
Loaded round neck dia. was .308
With reduce load at 66gr of H1000,still was getting primer cratering, but no flattening of the primer.
Bit discouraged at this point.
Also not my first rodeo with wildcats.done a number of them,but this one is kicking by ass.
I ran into similar troubles with mine. Two things related to brass you should do -

#1 properly anneal them after you size the 300 brass down to 7mm. When you size the brass down it gets stiffer/harder. I knew I had issues when I checked my overall neck diameter after firing and it was the same as the loaded round.

#2 - through the sizing process my brass developed the 'donut' on the inside of the case at the neck shoulder junction. this needed to be removed. I know they make fancy precision tools for this but I used a round file to remove them. This is most important when using bushing dies as most of us do with this wildcat. We don't pull the case over a sizing button on the inside.

on a side note, I think if I would have annealed the brass before turning the necks the formation of the 'donut' would have been minimal or not developed.
Reply With Quote
  #532  
Old 06-02-2014, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,937
Re: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by safariexpress View Post
Broz,
The rifle has a brand new PTG bolt and firing pin assembly,so i kinda ruled thar out,but i will check it myself.
Do this, there are two sized firing pins for the 700. Make sure you do not have a large bore and a small pin.

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC