Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Gold Member

Re: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

Now it is very hard to still doubt you! I always thought the 7-300 win mag would be a great round, and you've proved it! At least to me!

I will probably have to build one now.... only downside would be barrel life. Ah well, everyone likes a screamer

Thanks for going out and chronoing it for us.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliveralan View Post
I will probably have to build one now.... only downside would be barrel life. Ah well, everyone likes a screamer

Thanks for going out and chronoing it for us.
No problem, As for barrel life , this is all I can say. The round count has long past 600 and is close to 700 or maybe more. I dont have that data in my possession anymore. But she is still shooting bugholes and I have not chaged the seating depth.

Jeff
Old 05-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Well there is enough people interested, including my self, so I decided to go and see. I called my buddy and we went to bust s few rocks. I needed practise with the new Berger hybrids in my Lapua anyway. Just got back. Here is what the chrony said. The low and the high from the string.

You can read the chrony for your self, and like I said the drops are spot on using 3175 mv and .659 G1 BC in the Nightforce program with the 180 Berger.

Jeff
OMG! A Shooting Chrony???

Just kidding
Old 05-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
OMG! A Shooting Chrony???

Just kidding
LMAO.... Hey be careful there. My wife bought that for me 12 years ago for my birthday. I have since bought another and line them up on occation. I just a few days ago got a Pact Professional XP with IR screens. In 20 shots it refused to record even one no matter what I did and this crappy lil chrony was in line and recorded every shot. The last time I was near an oehler it broke. ..... I am really not a fan of any chrono. It seems we always change the MV in the program so the program will match the drops anyway. So heck, I can make a good guess then correct for it.

By the way phorwath, you still being fooled by thar Swaro Laser guide??

Jeff
Old 05-29-2010, 10:39 PM
Silver Member

X2 Thanks for the information...Pretty sure Im going to get one built.

Remington 700 SA 22-243 Win
26" SS Benchmark Barrel 1-8 Twist
Glass Bedded-Grey Bull Precision Stock
Built by Hazer@Bison Barrels in Gillette,WY
Sightron SIII 6.5-24X50MM LRMOA
Old 05-30-2010, 02:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
LMAO.... Hey be careful there. My wife bought that for me 12 years ago for my birthday. I have since bought another and line them up on occasion. I just a few days ago got a Pact Professional XP with IR screens. In 20 shots it refused to record even one no matter what I did and this crappy lil chrony was in line and recorded every shot. The last time I was near an oehler it broke. ..... I am really not a fan of any chrono. It seems we always change the MV in the program so the program will match the drops anyway. So heck, I can make a good guess then correct for it.

By the way phorwath, you still being fooled by thar Swaro Laser guide??

Jeff
The chronographs I've been around mostly worked well. Oehler 33s. I have a PACT also and it works well in good lighting. But the Oehler is a bit more reliable. I sure wouldn't go to the effort of shooting over them at 1000 yds if I didn't think they'd record a velocity when the bullet passed over the skyscreens. I only really trust a velocity off any chronograph when I'm shooting over two that I'm familiar with at the same time. Then I can usually tell if I'm getting credible data or not.

Ahhh... the Swaro versus the Leica! You for sure had a bad streak of luck with the Swaro LRFs. I probly would have given up on them. I was beginning to wonder if a glitch slipped into the production line on the later model Swaros. I've been fortunate, by comparison. What with your Leica hype, you've got me awaiting the release of the Leica 1600 LRFs. If their 1600 model will range 1600 yds, provide an accurate station pressure, temperature, and inclination/declination - I want one.

The 7mm - 300 Win Mag is a very appealing cartridge. Impressive MV, and I'm sure much easier on the throats than the 7mm RUMs. Perhaps the ideal 7mm cartridge with the 180 VLDs - all things considered.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Silver Member

Gave the go ahead on a 7mm-300 win mag to be built yesterday, should be done in a month or so. I am doing one with a 28" barrel and muzzle brake.

Hope she shoots!

Remington 700 SA 22-243 Win
26" SS Benchmark Barrel 1-8 Twist
Glass Bedded-Grey Bull Precision Stock
Built by Hazer@Bison Barrels in Gillette,WY
Sightron SIII 6.5-24X50MM LRMOA