Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 10:51 AM
Silver Member

Re: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHOOTER View Post
Why not just load up those .300 WM cases with 30 cal, and go hunting?

I don't mean to offend anybody, but you must admit, there is so much baloney being spoken here.

You know, like if 7mm isn't good enough, we must jump right to 338 cal.

Everyone knows that the .300 Win Mag is the go everywhere, do everything cartridge for North America.
what baloney are you talking about longshooter? yes the 300 win mag is an all around good round, but thats not the discussion here.

f major,
if you were wanting to make a 7-300, you could rent a reamer they are out there and easily found. you can easily with a mild load get the velocity you are talking about, but i think that would be a waste of the time and money to go with this round to get that performance.

i went with this round, because i like something a little different case wise and dont need something that will cost a lot more to load that may be capable of shooting a bit further(.338). rite now the 180 is fine and i think if the 195 ever comes out then this cartridge would be able to make them shoot well, but maybe on the slower side of really making those things shine.

i guess you need to decide which bullet you want to shoot, how fast and what ranges and then see what fits.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't mean to offend anybody, but you must admit, there is so much baloney being spoken here.
One gun owner's baloney is another's filet mignon. Which is why cartridges and caliber preferences are commonly debated over the campfires and on this Forum, and will continue to be. Who's to say there's anything wrong with that?
Old 08-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Why not just load up those .300 WM cases with 30 cal, and go hunting?

If you don't want to offend, then why state there is so much baloney being spoken? If you don't want to offend, then shut your mouth and keep your offensive remarks to yourself.

Quote:
You know, like if 7mm isn't good enough, we must jump right to 338 cal.

Everyone knows that the .300 Win Mag is the go everywhere, do everything cartridge for North America.
I shot and reloaded .30 cal (in 300 Win Mag - hence my current stockpile of new, un-fired casings) for many years. I just like 7mm. That's it. Nothing more. However, for long range elk I like a truly BIG hammer - not a .30 caliber barrel-burner. This is about the 7/300 not caliber selection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calib View Post
what baloney are you talking about longshooter? yes the 300 win mag is an all around good round, but thats not the discussion here.

f major,
if you were wanting to make a 7-300, you could rent a reamer they are out there and easily found. you can easily with a mild load get the velocity you are talking about, but i think that would be a waste of the time and money to go with this round to get that performance.

i went with this round, because i like something a little different case wise and dont need something that will cost a lot more to load that may be capable of shooting a bit further(.338). rite now the 180 is fine and i think if the 195 ever comes out then this cartridge would be able to make them shoot well, but maybe on the slower side of really making those things shine.

i guess you need to decide which bullet you want to shoot, how fast and what ranges and then see what fits.
Thanks for the idea to rent the reamer. I was conservative with my hopeful velocity goal of 3,100fps and a 160gr hunting bullet. If it achieves 3,200fps or more all the better - though I wouldn't really load for faster, just optimum accuracy in the 3,100-3,200fps range.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:35 AM
Silver Member

i wish 3:30 would hurry up and get here so i can go home, and UPS hurrys as well that way i can get my hands on my 7/300 tonight!
Savage LRH 6.5x284
Old 08-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Silver Member

F major-
There is no doubt with comfort you will have long brass life with the 160's at 3200. I am getting a comfortable 3175 out of my 180's rite now. I rented my reamer from 4-d in kalispel, mt. I am sure you will find one easily. Do you have a barrel contour picked out yet? Or a barrel in that case?

Cummin_un_glued-
Who made it and lets get pics once you take some. I would have a hard time workibg knowing my gun is gonna be there when i get off.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:56 AM
Silver Member

From what I can see of the caliber and doing a little reading here, you can get some super good velocity for fairly flat shooting. Although the bigger bullets might be a hair better for elk, these would be nothing to shake ones head at. It is gonna be pretty tough to resist this caliber once the 195's come out. Seems to me a guy could maybe get 2900fps with it and without any real herendous barrel wear from what the guys on this thread have been reporting. Seems like kinda a cool round.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmajor View Post
If you don't want to offend, then why state there is so much baloney being spoken? If you don't want to offend, then shut your mouth and keep your offensive remarks to yourself.
So, in other words, if I don't fall in line with your thoughts on the subject, then my remarks are considered offensive, and that I am to keep my mouth shut?