Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckhammer View Post
Yep, custom dies are in the cards. According to Kiff the sharp shoulder should nearly eliminate growth. At the pressures I plan to run I figure the primer pockets might open up before it needs FL or body resizing. For neck sizing I was planning to use Redding Type S bushing dies with the sleeve hogged out by my chamber reamer. Ditto the sleeve in a Redding Comp seater die.
Yep that will work. It's the body die that is hard and not a simple process to come up with.

Jeff

PS: for what it's worth Redding is not taking anymore custom die orders.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Yep that will work. It's the body die that is hard and not a simple process to come up with.

Jeff

Jeff, we commented at the same time, look at my previous post.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 07-11-2013, 10:57 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post

Jeff

Plan is to send the reamer and die sleeves to a friend who has a full machine shop and turn him loose. I'm a mechanical engineer and am OK with hand tools but am not a machinist. My magic is done on a computer rather than on a lathe or 5-axis mill.

BTW - Your efforts and those of Kiwinate are what convinced me to go with a 7-300WM cat. I read both your stories on various forums from the 2010-2011 time frame and was motivated hy the excellent results you guys had with 162-180 gr bullets in this case. I went with a touch of body taper reduction (.007) and the 37 deg shoulder to eek out a bit more capacity, be different, and limit case growth. Was going to do 40 deg but Kiff convinced me that 37 was shown to be optimal. That guy has an enormous amount of related knowledge he can pull right off the top of his head. That combined with his willingness to share his time and mind are an unbeatable combination for service.

Question - If I were to zip one of those stubby, thin-jacketed 100 or 110 gr bullets down range at >4k fps do you think they would hold together? Barrel will have a 1/8.5 to 1/9 twist.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:53 PM
Silver Member

my smith said mine should be done in 4 more weeks...my McMillian stock is also slated to be done in Aug.... cant wait!
Savage LRH 6.5x284
Old 07-12-2013, 06:07 AM
Platinum Member

Regarding your desire to shoot a lightweight bullet:

The TTSX 110 Barnes or any other mono (does someone else make one?) would hold up to high velocity abuse. The 110 tnt speer and 100 gr sierra varminter wouldn't. I think the 120 nosler bt would hold up too. There are not many 100-110 gr 7mm bullets out there.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckhammer View Post
Question - If I were to zip one of those stubby, thin-jacketed 100 or 110 gr bullets down range at >4k fps do you think they would hold together? Barrel will have a 1/8.5 to 1/9 twist.
I would not use a Berger over 3400 with those twists. I think it would be asking for trouble. Plus I am not a small bullet fan, those little guys will loose speed as fast as they made it and the bullet with more cubic inches will motor past them down range. I think in terms of long range these days so the bigger bullets are better for me and what I do.

That said years ago I did build a 25-300 Wby and was sending 115 Bergers at over 3650 from a 10 twist. I didn't have any problems with it and the rifle is still killing white tails today, but does leave a big hole in them.
Jeff
Old 07-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Silver Member

well another learning phase working with this rifle. i have 21 rounds through the barrel which mean little to nothing, because i got a wrong reading of oal length using just a sized down 300 win mag gauge for the hornady set up. my first 9 shots where jammed about 100 thousands, came home with a zeroed gun at least, did some measuring and talked to bill about what is going on, brass was fine, but bullets were going in too far, so i put a bullet in a fired case and shoved it in being all marked up with sharpie i could see where it was pushing it to, so i measured that and got 100 thousands less so i went 103 thousands shorter, took those out and fired them off and still had some issues, came home talked to bill about the gauge and then got a hold of brad and asked him to machine out one of my fired cases to make a clean gauge for me, got that done found out over all i was about 150 thousands jammed with the first 9. now i have a baseline to work from, but even with a sized piece of brass once fired i get resistance closing the bolt, so now we are thinking head space/ shoulder bump which i have never bumped any cases so this is all new. i also sent an e mail to where the reamer came from to try to get a diagram for measurements of my chamber. hope to get this all figured out with in the next few weeks and out shooting again. this gun doesn't kick any more than a 243 liking it so far.

in my pressure test which i am sure numbers are not worth much i went from 73-77 grains with no real pressure problems with velocities ranging from 3050-3222fps, with all 9 shots within 3" at 200 yards.