Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics


Reply

Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #288  
Old 02-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 327
Re: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

How dose Boss 300WM 215gr 3030fps .696 BC on elk stack up to the 7mm-300WM, knowing the 300WM dosn't need any special reamers or fire forming?
Reply With Quote
  #289  
Old 02-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,934
Re: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain View Post
How dose Boss 300WM 215gr 3030fps .696 BC on elk stack up to the 7mm-300WM, knowing the 300WM dosn't need any special reamers or fire forming?
I will always give the heavier bullet a thumbs up for elk no matter if the dia. is .284 or .308. This is why I am still shooting the 300 win. But out to 800 / 900 it might be hard to tell a difference. The difference will surely go to bullet placement. At 1000 plus I will give it to the 300 win and a 215.

But things could easily change here. When we get to testing the new 195 Berger. A 7mm-300 with a 195 gr bullet at 3100 plus, and a BC of close to .800, well that just is not something any medium bore lover will want to look past.

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #290  
Old 03-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 325
Re: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I will always give the heavier bullet a thumbs up for elk no matter if the dia. is .284 or .308. This is why I am still shooting the 300 win. But out to 800 / 900 it might be hard to tell a difference. The difference will surely go to bullet placement. At 1000 plus I will give it to the 300 win and a 215.


Jeff
At 1000+ wouldn't a nice, fast 338 be the better choice?
Reply With Quote
  #291  
Old 03-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Official LRH Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 210
Re: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

They duplicate the 7mm dakota in performance, only down side is you will require a 3.9" or 4" box mag from wyatts to seat the bullets out where you need them.
Chris
Reply With Quote
  #292  
Old 03-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,934
Re: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlift View Post
only down side is you will require a 3.9" or 4" box mag from wyatts to seat the bullets out where you need them.
Chris
Haven't had any issues with them yet on the 700 Rem or the Mark V actions. The 3rd one I did was with a DM.

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #293  
Old 03-12-2013, 02:55 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 856
Re: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

My 7-300wm is throated for 162 Amax's and it fits in a standard 3.68" Remington mag box with loaded rounds at 3.61" OAL. With 180's you'd need a 3.8" Wyatt mag box to seat the boattail junction at the bottom of the neck. The 162's, 168's, and 180's are all really close to 1000yds so I chose the easier path and used lighter bullets that fit in the factory mag box.
Reply With Quote
  #294  
Old 03-12-2013, 03:18 PM
TMR TMR is offline
SPONSOR
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Elma, WA
Posts: 505
Re: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlift View Post
They duplicate the 7mm dakota in performance, only down side is you will require a 3.9" or 4" box mag from wyatts to seat the bullets out where you need them.
Chris

They definitely don't need the long box. Have built several of the straight 7-300WM's and they fit well inside the normal 3.8" box and still have the performance.
__________________
Travis Redell
R Bros Rifles
www.rbrosrifles.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC