Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics


Reply

Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #281  
Old 02-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 133
Re: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

a question for broz, i have a 300 ultra mag that has very few round through it less than 20. i am wanting to build a 28 to 30in 7mm/300 on it. already have a 24in model 70 so i already have dies and experiance with loading the 180vld. it shoots great however the shorter mag of the model 70 is holding it back. the ultra mag it on a senduro stock. only looking to change barrels and chamber for the 7mm/300win. perhaps trigger ajustment also.
Reply With Quote
  #282  
Old 02-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 133
Re: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

i should have added are you interested working on another project.
Reply With Quote
  #283  
Old 02-17-2013, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,934
Re: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.SWIFT View Post
i should have added are you interested working on another project.

I sent you a PM

Thanks

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #284  
Old 02-24-2013, 09:41 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lincoln Co., NV
Posts: 175
Re: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersen View Post
The freebore on my reamer is .180 and it is 'short' in the manner that it does affect velocity. But it is very accurate with 162 AMAX and 180 VLD. The 180 VLD will still clear 3000 fps but they are not getting to the 3150 fps area I had planned on.

I have thought about using a throating reamer to get more speed but I cannot mess with it for how accurate it shoots.

I can give you the cartridge overall length later.
Looks like I was wrong. Shot mine the past two days and it is going faster than it was last fall. So, A combination of the barrel getting broken in, took a little more off the neck thickness and one more grain of powder (75.5 gr. h1000). The chrono read an average of 3150 yesterday and 3250 today. The chrono is not the best so there is some error sometimes. But I can confirm it is about an inch high at 100 and dead on at 200. So it is somewhere in the 3150-3200 range. I will confirm velocity at further ranges when I get a chance.
Reply With Quote
  #285  
Old 02-25-2013, 10:10 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NW Louisana
Posts: 317
Re: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersen View Post
Looks like I was wrong. Shot mine the past two days and it is going faster than it was last fall. So, A combination of the barrel getting broken in, took a little more off the neck thickness and one more grain of powder (75.5 gr. h1000). The chrono read an average of 3150 yesterday and 3250 today. The chrono is not the best so there is some error sometimes. But I can confirm it is about an inch high at 100 and dead on at 200. So it is somewhere in the 3150-3200 range. I will confirm velocity at further ranges when I get a chance.
What kind of brass are you using? Just curious! Thanks!!

DT
Reply With Quote
  #286  
Old 02-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lincoln Co., NV
Posts: 175
Re: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Tinsley View Post
What kind of brass are you using? Just curious! Thanks!!

DT

Norma - they weigh 220-222 grains as is with necks turned to 12 thousandths. (cant remember if the weight is with primers in or out)
Reply With Quote
  #287  
Old 02-25-2013, 01:12 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NW Louisana
Posts: 317
Re: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersen View Post
Norma - they weigh 220-222 grains as is with necks turned to 12 thousandths. (cant remember if the weight is with primers in or out)
Thank You!!

DT
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC