Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

QuickDesign would be usefull to spec out cases and chambers also.
I have it but need to work somemore with it to be comfortable using it.

Remember to spend the time and effort to use these programs properly.

This one would be good cartridge to try nitride treating the barrel.

Glenn
Old 06-29-2011, 03:12 PM
Bronze Member

Been reading through this thread for the last few days, wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the great info.
I have been trying to decide between the the 7-300 and the 7 rem mag for a while .
If anyone has any more info or updates I would love to hear it.
Anyone have many rounds through a 7-300 yet ? wondering about throat wear .
Any tips or opinions would be great .

Thanks , Adam
Old 06-29-2011, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 264win View Post
Been reading through this thread for the last few days, wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the great info.
I have been trying to decide between the the 7-300 and the 7 rem mag for a while .

Thanks , Adam
Adam, The origional rifle at the beginning of this thread now has well over 700 rounds and is still a tack driver.

I would look at what you want for bullet weight before making the decision. If the 180 Berger appeals to your type of shooting / Hunting I would go 7-300 and never look back.

I have another 7-300 at the smith getting threaded and chambered and also nitride treatmet. It also has a Hart 6 land 9 twist and this one is 26" plus brake. I Can't wait to test her once she is done. When this happens, and it should be in a few weeks, I will post results.

Jeff
Old 06-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:

Thanks , Adam
Well, I've been putting off posting to do some more tests, but I'll give ya what I have so far. I have 312 rounds thru my bbl. It was a factory Remmie 26" take off that was a 7RM. Had a muzzle brake installed & reamed to 7/300. This is a poorman build & learning tool and I don't think this bbl. will ever be a "tack driver" but for $50, I got what I paid for. Having said that some observations about MY bbl. YMVV/RCMV (muzzle velocity/round count) exercise all necessary safety precautions when loading YOUR rounds.

btw....kudos to Kiwi Nate, Broz, & TresMon for the help and encouragement......

Fireforming w/ 154g Hornady, 77g H4831sc,Nosler 300WM brass, Fed. GM 215 primers, expanded the primer pockets and case head dimensions. Discarded some brass.
Same components, but 70g H4350 was ok. Went on from there. (ran out of H4831sc).

180g Bergers, I got 3180 fps ave. w/ H1000 (78g) and 3150 fps w/ 77g. Shot right at or under 1moa. However, primer pockets so bad after only 3 firings, hadda throw them out. btw....40 thousandths off the lands to fit the mag box. (This load would be a good hunting load for ME, as I only elk hunt once a year and the cost of the brass would be nominal.)

160g Accubonds, 77.5 g H-1000 for 3225fps. 1.1 MOA also 40K off the lands.

So, I now know how to ruin expensive brass in a short time frame and achieve average results.....! Think I'll drop down in powder charge weights/velocity to find a more suitable node. I like to shoot 'em but at $1.10 each for brass, I either switch to a cheaper brass or find a better load. For other types of hunting I have a .280AI that is a laser w/ either 140g or 168g bergers and either one would also dispatch an elk handily.

Retumbo is in my future...

I also wanted to use this rifle as a learning tool to get back into reloading as I had quit for 17 years and had never loaded for wildcats. The rifle was my old 7mm Mag w/ 2500+ rounds and was shot out and my buddie gunsmith did the work for $250, so I don't have a lot in the gun. So, IF I don't lose an eye or kill myself, and can get knowed up on this caliber somewhat, I'll buy a GOOD barrel, and have a shooter that I didn't waste 500 rounds of bbl. life on the learning curve.

Adam, I'm excited about this round and think you'll do well IF you lean towards heavier bullets at faster speeds. Just the ticket IMO. Good luck to you.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:32 PM
Silver Member

Hi Guys, my rifle has only fired about 300 rounds so I can't confirm barrel life yet. Its still shooting straight, a client was using it a couple of weeks back after he spent some time with it at the range. There was a goat sitting, broadside but its head was facing us. The wind was strong so I calculated the wind and urged the client to use the line of the goats head as the correct leade for the wind. The client misheard me. I was waiting, wondering when the guy was going to fire, then the wind died off and before I could say something about changing the point of aim, the rifle went bang and I could see through the camcorder a clear head shot- 540 yards. So its still shooting straight.

I have made slight changes to our reamer design, I didn't like the match like tolerences of the body. So I loosened the body dimensions (diameters) but kept the neck dimensions tight. The rifles made with the Revision B reamer (drawing is on our site) are better for neck sizing (ease of reloading) which is what it was all about. Accuracy remains the same but velocities are up about 30fps or so. This means that the 162gr Amax at 3275fps is very mild, sweet spot is 3275 to 3300fps or so. Remember though, these rifles have 28" barrels. About 3230fps would be a good goal velocity for a 26" barrel.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the input guys , I am reading up as much as i can on this round .
I am going to be running the 180 class of bullets , berger , matrix,Cauterucio
My biggest question at this point is whether the gain over the 7mm rem is worth the hassle and expense .
I have a reamer available locally, but am not sure what the specs are . I would like to know what reamers and loading dies you guys are having the best luck with .

BTW, this is going to be a 28" heavy barrel , going on my sako trg 42 and will be used 95% for lr steel target shooting.

Thanks again , adam
Old 07-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
My biggest question at this point is whether the gain over the 7mm rem is worth the hassle and expense .
Yes, I feel it is, especially for the velocity gain from a 7mm with 180's. Not to mention the better brass that is available for a 300 WM.

Jeff