Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

Jeff:
Now THAT is something I would pay good money for! If you decide you wanna do this, I'm in! I have ZERO skills w/ a lathe. I can barely operate a chain saw! I'll pay ya!

I just bought 150 pcs. of Nosler brass in 300WM. I really like it in my .280AI. But, I am going to buy some cheaper stuff to practice on before I take the plunge w/ this $1.30 each stuff!

Can you tell me what size bushings you now use to get from .308-.284?
Do you use the Titanium ones?
IF the number of bushings/cost is equal or greater than the cost of a custom die, would it not make sense to just get the custom? CAN one get a custom die from Redding?

Thanks! ahh......the anticipation builds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
In my opinion the Redding "S" type competition neck bushing die is the only way to go. Then have a 300 win body die if you need to slightly set the shoulder back a bit. The problem with using the bushing neck die to neck the brass from 300 to 7mm is, the redding bushings have only a very slight taper on the bottom and are designed to accept brass that is only slightly larger. So you need to do it with several bushings and small steps. I have always wanted to take a 7mm bushing to a lathe and cut a larger dia slow taper on one side. I think that would do the trick for first time sizing down. Then flip the bushing over or use a second bushing for the final size after fireforming. I have pretty much completely converted to the Redding comp bushing dies. I like to size my necks and body in seperate steps as the body seldom needs sized. I get concentricity of less that .001" T.I.R. as an average and I like that.

Jeff
Old 12-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the info.

So I think I read in this thread that the 7-300 is good for an additional 150fps over the 7mmRM. ?

What is barrel life like? What kind of round count could a look for in a match rifle?

And are you guys saying you neck only size your belted cases? I have had EVERYONE tell me to always FL size belted cases..... Sierra Bullet techs, Sinclair International techs, etc.

Thanks.
Tres

Check my website for articles, training info, etc!

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes Available.

John 14:6 2TIMothy 3:16
Old 12-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Bronze Member

Tres, I'm sure there are MANY people on this forum much more knowledgeable than I, but I can give you MY experience w/ a 7RM.

I never, in over 2000 rounds thru my old gun FL size until I could no longer close the bolt without a LOT of difficulty. This, being a hunting rifle as well. If I didn't have to struggle a lot with closing the bolt, I continued to neck only until I did. (fyi, i ran EVERY round thru the mag/chamber BEFORE a hunting trip to weed out those that needed FL sizing).

The number of reloads varied, but I couldn't tell you EXACTLY how many, because back then, I didn't keep real good records of how many time a brass was fired. My sense was that it was at least 5-6 times. Of course that would depend on a lot of things like how hot ya run it, etc. and I trimmed regularly.

When it got too hard to close the bolt, I FL sized 'em & kept on shooting. I shot out the first 2.5" of my bbl. and THAT'S what prompted this new 7mm/300WM build on a 7RM take off bbl. I bought.

Good luck.
btw....thanks again for all the great reloading info on your write ups. I'm learning a LOT from all you guys on this board!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tresmon View Post
Thanks for the info.

So I think I read in this thread that the 7-300 is good for an additional 150fps over the 7mmRM. ?

What is barrel life like? What kind of round count could a look for in a match rifle?

And are you guys saying you neck only size your belted cases? I have had EVERYONE tell me to always FL size belted cases..... Sierra Bullet techs, Sinclair International techs, etc.

Thanks.
Tres
Old 12-10-2010, 11:16 PM
Bronze Member

What's barrel life working out to be on this one??

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes Available.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tresmon View Post
What's barrel life working out to be on this one??
Tres, I can't tell you when this barrel will start going away. But I can tell you that we have around 700 through it by now I would guess , and it still shoots very well. Also we have never rapid fired it, we try to keep loads below max and most groups we shoot are 3~4 shots.

Jeff
Old 12-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Bronze Member

So what load data you use???

Thanks,
Tres

Old 12-17-2010, 08:32 AM
Silver Member

I also add that I've shot the 300 WM for a long time exclusively neck sizing and I've never had a problem.

Tom