Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 02:15 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

Now why didn't I see it that way? Makes perfect sense now but that never entered my mind. NOW, I'm wondering about a smith who didn't tell me that........LOL.
Sounds like I'll be neckin em or fls em w/ a 300WM die if need be.
Thanks, Nate.

And good shootin in the video there, pard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Nate View Post
You won't be able to use the reamer to make a FL die. The reamer is shaped for the chamber, not the brass. If you FL sized using the reamer, it would not be any different to chambering a neck sized round in the rifle. In other words, a seperate reamer of slightly smaller dimensions is used to create an FL die. This sizes the brass to dimensions smaller then the chamber (chamber reamer).
Old 11-21-2010, 05:07 AM
Silver Member

I was chuckling when I posted that, now I have read your reply and I am giggling again- I knew it would make perfect sense and seem obvious to you once it was described- ain't that often the way. I felt like a right prick posting that. Ah well. You will never be able to top the mistakes I have made over the years, got a nice 30 cal bullet hole hole through and through my arm from my early days, experimenting with gong materials at 25 yards- back when I was young and bullet proof- oops, no I wasn't, I mean young and stupid.

Sometimes a smith won't be able to work these things out simply because he has so much on his plate already, that other prototype/ odd jobs are just too much to have to deal with so they get shelved in the -OK, I will give it a go, deal with that when the job turns up department. In other cases, the smith might just be hopeless, a guy who did a machine shop apprenticeship because thats what he was told to do. You would be surprised how many machinists don't even like talking about steels, have no passion for metals, alloys, heat treatment, its all about a pay check and that is all. Some guys just like to pontificate (like I am doing right now LOL), show how much they know, get all the attention, something to do with their mothers not loving them or something like that.

Its a tough call, you don't need someone who is exceptionally intellectually gifted to do your smithing, all that is really required is someone who is passionate about what they do, honest and enjoys the learning process that each job brings. You can get a feel for this kind of thing over the phone or by email, good attitude, a willingness to help get the job done properly- and help rectify any problems that might occur down the line.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Bronze Member

Apologies to Broz, not trying to get off topic here or highjack his thread so here's my contribution: I'll post work up methods, mistakes, successes, thoughts from an old timer that recognizes "he ain't in Kansas no more, Toto" when it comes to wildcats and knows enought to be dangerous BUT knows he dangerous, when I get the gun back. Perhaps a perspective from a novice viewpoint might help someone here in my shoes.

I went back a read Bob's (smith) reply and my bad.....he said "getting dies shouldn't be a problem". He emailed me Sat. w/ the exact explanation you gave. I'm gettin it from all sides here! LOL
He has built my 280AI and it is scary accurate w/ 168g VLD at 2950fps & RE22. He knows what he's doing and he's fast and he's cheap! He's a retired engineer w/ more money than God and just does this stuff for relaxation just for friends and referrals. I used to work w/ him 30 years ago. Was good to strike up an old friendship again.

We should start a thread about "mistakes I've made" relating to guns/reloading etc. I won't bore you w/ how I have been shot twice, once in the head and once in the leg, both times by the same guy but 17 years apart. I still see him everyday! I love the guy! He's married to my wife and is the father of my daughter. LOL
Take care, Nate. Thanks again for all the GREAT info. I hope you and everyone on this thread will be as willing in the future to share your knowledge should other questons arise. Gotta go. Going to So. Dak. for a few days pheasant killin!
Old 12-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Bronze Member

Hey getting in on this late in the game. A few questions:

I'm heavily invested in .300WM- neck bushing dies bump dies etc etc. But now that the barrel of my 300wm is shot out I really wanted to drop down to 7mm for the better BC and a little less recoil. I had decided to just stick with the 300wm untill I found this thread...

Can I use my 300WM bushing dies for the 7-300 and just use a smaller neck bushing?
Thanks all,
Tres

Check my website for articles, training info, etc!

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes Available.

John 14:6 2TIMothy 3:16
Old 12-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tresmon View Post

Can I use my 300WM bushing dies for the 7-300 and just use a smaller neck bushing?
Thanks all,
Tres
Yes, that is what I do. As long as the reamer you use to chamber the rifle retains the origional 300 win shoulder angle. But for necking down bass the first time you will need several bushings to step it down. Or run it through a seperate special die the first trip. After that and they have been fired in your rifle simply use the 300 win die with the correct 7mm neck bushing.

jeff
Old 12-09-2010, 11:33 PM
Bronze Member

Now you've got me thinking and that's dangerous for me anyway.....
I took my 7mm Mag die, adjusted it up some and ran some 300WM brass thru it. Some failed and some did ok, I THINK (I think they are ALL too short). Learning curve. Is using the 7mm neck die the right way to go or should I just buy a 300bushing die and go w/ several size bushings as you suggest?
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
ps.....the reamer is a standard 300WM shoulder w/ 7mm neck, I HOPE! LOL
It's not here yet so I'm won't say 110%.
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Yes, that is what I do. As long as the reamer you use to chamber the rifle retains the origional 300 win shoulder angle. But for necking down bass the first time you will need several bushings to step it down. Or run it through a seperate special die the first trip. After that and they have been fired in your rifle simply use the 300 win die with the correct 7mm neck bushing.

jeff
Old 12-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

In my opinion the Redding "S" type competition neck bushing die is the only way to go. Then have a 300 win body die if you need to slightly set the shoulder back a bit. The problem with using the bushing neck die to neck the brass from 300 to 7mm is, the redding bushings have only a very slight taper on the bottom and are designed to accept brass that is only slightly larger. So you need to do it with several bushings and small steps. I have always wanted to take a 7mm bushing to a lathe and cut a larger dia slow taper on one side. I think that would do the trick for first time sizing down. Then flip the bushing over or use a second bushing for the final size after fireforming. I have pretty much completely converted to the Redding comp bushing dies. I like to size my necks and body in seperate steps as the body seldom needs sized. I get concentricity of less that .001" T.I.R. as an average and I like that.

Jeff

Last edited by Broz; 12-10-2010 at 09:36 AM.