Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Anyone here use Cutting Edge Bullets?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Silver Member

Re: Anyone here use Cutting Edge Bullets?

Looked into them, too rich for my blood.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:25 PM

I view the Raptors as an accurate premium hunting bullet not a target bullet. If I want a hunting bullet that has great terminal performance at ranges out to 600 yards I would want this. Past 600 yards CEB has some great other options. Most people hunt only a few big game a year and the rest is target. One box at 60 bucks could last a season. That is not too expensive. There are plenty of cheaper hunting bullets but these are the best in tests of accuracy and terminal performance. $20 more for the best is not asking much. Bullets are the cheapest part of the hunt and one of the most important. The beauty of this Raptor system is not so much in the traditional looks arena but in how accurate it is and how deadly it is. Game does not go far after one of these close to the right area. I hope some of you try them out.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:49 PM
Silver Member

There bullets look good but for those prices why in the world would anyone try them. There are to many premium bullets being made for 1/3 to 1/2 the cost.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:01 PM
Gold Member

I have tried the 225 grain 338s in my Khan. I am easily running them at 3450 fps and could probably get them to 3500 but I don't want to beat up my brass.

I have found them to be highly accurate and have shot them at ranges out to 1000 yards. The lighter weight bullet with a high bc makes for an interesting combination. Compared to my best load with a 300 grain Berger at 1000 yards I have 5 moa (50") less drop and significantly lower time of flight. Obviously energy is lower than a 300 but is still plenty.

As for the price. I do not plan to do my practice shooting with these. I will stick with SMKs or Bergers for that. However, it only takes 20 to 40 rounds to verify my drops the first time and then only 10 rounds or so each year to verify everything is still good. Then maybe 2 to 8 rounds to hunt with (depending on how many does I shoot). At the price, I certainly would not shoot a few hundred a year, but just for load / drop verification and hunting a box of 50 should last at least a year. $80 for a season supply of bullets is not much when you look at all the rest of the money we spend on this long range habit!

By the way, I am not associated with CE, just a customer, and a new one at that. I will see what I think in a few weeks when I put one through a whitetail. Although the reports have been good I am a little concerned about terminal performance. I am used to taking everything down in its tracks with the 300 SMKs or Bergers.