Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Anyone ever hear of the 30 FBI ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2003, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

Re: Anyone ever hear of the 30 FBI ?

Gs has not e-mailed me back anyway. If I have to wait as long as you say that sucks. When will a heavy PLR be ready and what about the B.C.? Thanks
Old 08-08-2003, 09:20 AM
Silver Member

Mach V, your comment earlier, about PRL bullets having high BC but flying like "$hit in the wind", and the airplane wing thing...I don't track that...please explain.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:21 AM
Gold Member

Nighthawk you have mail coming!
Old 08-08-2003, 09:45 AM
Silver Member

Max,

The PRL's have an extremely high BC because of the ratio of their weight (density) to physical size. The .308 253 PRL is, for instance, much shorter than a .308 250g lead bullet. That's precisely what makes them so desirable from a center of pressure/center of mass perspective.

I think what Mach V was referring to with the airplane wing thing was those manufacturers that use less dense cores and thus have to make the projectile extremely long to get the weight up...
Old 08-08-2003, 01:47 PM
Gold Member

STL I was wondering where you were [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. Figured you had some covert thing going on with the WOLF. Is she still a pup or has she grown into a mama now?
Old 08-08-2003, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

Ya what STL said!!Too much time in the barn as a kid sorry for the confution!The scary part is some people actualy understand what I is tryin to say.
Have not shot the PRLs just held a few so my coments are limited.I have used numerous Barns and a few other solids.They tend to be very fussy on what they like or dislike,foul a barrel a little more and drift in the wind farther than their equal weight lead core couterparts.
Have a hard time believing the Wolf was ever a pup!I gotsta get me ona those(gots lots to learn first though [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] )
CJ
Old 08-09-2003, 01:29 PM
Silver Member

Stl Shooter/Mach V. May not have understood the reference to PRL bullets in the post I asked about. Thought the reference was to PRL, maybe intended as "other"? Anyway, I do follow the difference between lead and exotic alloy core bullets regarding CG and CP displacement. I'm not aware that projectile length influences BC in any significant way, exception being yaw of repose of course, even if indirect. Did I sleep through a class at Ballistics University? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] My comments are/were in context of Mach V's remark about drift.