Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

anyone else use a 25X47 for hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Bronze Member

anyone else use a 25X47 for hunting

i know that the 25x47 [ 222 rem mag necked up to .257 ] does not have the words super duper big mag attached to it but i use it for alot of hunting with very good outcome . so i was just trying to see if there are any others out there that use it for hunting. i like this round so much i have 2 guns chambered in it a cooper and an ultra light arms. so far i have taken coyotes,mule deer,white tail,caribou,and black bear with it and all have been 1 shot kills. i load the 80 gr. TTSX for the ultra light anf the 100 gr. noz partition. i never load any of my guns for max velocity but for the best grouping with the bullet i would like to use in that gun. so the cooper shoots the noz partition at 2915 fps and the ultra shoots the TTSX at 3105 fps.
this round is nice nice to shoot easy to load for easy to get to shoot well easy on the shoulder. it would make a great round for youth,female, and anyone else that would like a good round for all deer size game in the lower 48. let face it a 30 super mag is not needed to shoot a white tail at 40 yrds from a tree stand.
so if anybody else uses this round lets hear about it.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
anyone else use a 25X47 for hunting-dscn0659.jpg   anyone else use a 25X47 for hunting-dscn1728.jpg  

Old 12-14-2011, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member

Re: anyone else use a 25X47 for hunting

Simple question, since I have its ballistic twin. Why not a 250 sav, if you don't like rem or win brass you can neck up 22-250 lapua cases, and this case design is also know for its excellent accuracy and dies are off the shelf redding 3 die set for 60 bucks.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods83 View Post
Simple question, since I have its ballistic twin. Why not a 250 sav, if you don't like rem or win brass you can neck up 22-250 lapua cases, and this case design is also know for its excellent accuracy and dies are off the shelf redding 3 die set for 60 bucks.

very good question, it is like ford,chevy,dodge i think . i also have an old savage 99 in 250-3000. this 25x47 will fit a loaded round and also unload a loaded round out of the shorter ultra light arms 20S action. the 250-savage is just to long to do this,
i also like to play with some of the smaller wildcats and this 1 is so nice to load for and shoot. lets remember this is used in a hunting rifle not for bench rest shooting.
so i just use the 222 rem mag brass when i can find it and now with the 204 brass it is even easier to find and load.i had the chance to chaperone my girlfriends daughter pn a guided mule deer hunt that she won . the guide was not sure about her using such a small round to take a big mule deer.well after her 1 shot and we were back in camp the guide change his mind about the 25x47 and said she had just taken the biggest mule deer of all there hunters so far that year.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

Can you post a picture of this little guy? I would like to see it. Sounds very interesting.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Bronze Member

here are a cpl pix to show what it looks like next to a 250-3000 and a 257 roberts
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
anyone else use a 25X47 for hunting-dscn2851.jpg  
Old 12-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmarine View Post
here are a cpl pix to show what it looks like next to a 250-3000 and a 257 roberts
Is that the 6.5x47 Lapua case essentially, or are they two different animals? How many steps does it take to stretch out from .204 to .257"?
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Bronze Member

no nothing like the 6.5x 47 lapua .
it is so easy to load for all i do is just neck up 222 rem mag brass or the 204 ruger brass to .257 thats all with no other steps . then after that i load them and the are ready to take hunting. i have shot them on the bench this way and also after fire forming. the truth is that you could use them for hunting this way as there is little if any difference between the group size between the just necked up and loaded rounds and the rounds that are fire formed 1st.
keep in mind this is for hunting not bench rest shooting.if i was loading these for the bench the loading would be a lot different . but loaded this way for hunting the groups are in the 3's at 100 yrds, which for the ranges that i limit my shots to this is just fine
i have taken deer size game from 25 yrds out to 414yrds and all with the same outcome meat in the freezer