Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Anyone custom a Browning A-Bolt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Anyone custom a Browning A-Bolt?

Finding the action I want for my build will be a hand thing...

I want a 700 pre-J, blued, with a jeweled bolt (like an old Sendero action), but can't seem to find anything other than magnum bolt face actions.

I want to build a .280 AI, so I need a .308/.30-06 bolt face (or standard) long-action.

You don't happen to know where any might be for a good price, do you?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
NOT dumb, at all! They don't build "do it yourself" rifles. They're just not interested in the possible liability issues that could result.
For that reason, I understand....But I would have a local gunsmith build it for me. Maybe he can call them and get one... Who knows? I'm about over that crap anyway, and just go with another 700 custom. Don't get me wrong, I love my 700's and my Browning, but I figured it would be a unique gun to have an A-Bolt II custom, since you don't see them sitting on every bench, ya know?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 04-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
For that reason, I understand....But I would have a local gunsmith build it for me. Maybe he can call them and get one... Who knows? I'm about over that crap anyway, and just go with another 700 custom. Don't get me wrong, I love my 700's and my Browning, but I figured it would be a unique gun to have an A-Bolt II custom, since you don't see them sitting on every bench, ya know?
Brownings are unique, here is one that I built.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Anyone custom a Browning A-Bolt?-browning.jpg  
Old 04-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

That is EXACTLY what I'm wanting mine to look like, but blued action, stainless fluted barrel, EGW base, TPS TSR rings, NF 5.5-22x56 MOAR on top, in an A5 stock, but black wtih white web. finish.

Did you buid it yourself? Also, could I get some barrel specs?

I was wanting a Rock Creek 5R barrel 26" outside the reciever, 9.25" twist, and whatever contour that barrel is you have there. What contour is that?

Quote:
Old 04-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50BMG Hunter View Post
Where Is TIKKAMIKE when you need him?
what am I supposed to do to solve this? all I am saying is I got one 2 weeks ago with no effort, maybe its like anywhere else and you have to keep calling till you get the right person...

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 04-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Platinum Member

I just called them a while ago and they pretty much told me to piss up a rope, or send them my gun so they could do it...

Quote:
Old 04-02-2013, 04:06 PM
SPONSOR

How does Browning know your 'smith is a competent one? The tag "gunsmith" gets hung on many who don't deserve it. Everyone and their dog is a gunsmith, today. No slam against your guy in any of this. He won't get restricted Browning parts unless he's an "Authorized Browning Repair Station",,, and I'm not sure those exist, anymore. Everything might get sent to the factory for warranty work. I don't know if they run a 'custom shop'. Never heard of one, if they do. The bolt/bolt head effects headspace and inproper headpace can be dangerous to life and limb. As for a 'cheap' 700,,,,,, good luck! The price of used rifles has risen with the increase in 'custom builds' (and inflation that our government says doesn't exist!). The last used actions I saw, which was before the beginning of the year on GunBroker, got bid up , too, compared to what they used to go for. I've looked at the Weatherby Vanguards/Howas. They're good 'iron', still priced good, but again, the extra large selection of aftermarket parts just isn't there. Takes some real planning these days to get a rifle together. Everything has lead time. Finding and action or waiting on that Stiller you ordered to arrive, barrels, Jewel triggers. The stuff just isn't sitting on the shelf these days. Those who are just now starting plans for a build for this years hunt should have started months ago. To top it off, good 'smiths are busy and may not have time to fit you in. (That's why anyone who can screw a barrel on wants that tag, these days).