Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

Anyone custom a Browning A-Bolt?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #22  
Old 03-26-2013, 05:51 PM
SPONSOR
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: on the Southern Plains
Posts: 1,079
Re: Anyone custom a Browning A-Bolt?

Good luck finding a bolt for that Browning. I've never know them to be available. I really choose something other than an A-Bolt to build on. OK to re-barrel, I just wouldn't use one for a build.
__________________
"Shoots real good!": definition; it didn't blow-up in my face.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-26-2013, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,285
Re: Anyone custom a Browning A-Bolt?

Browning A-Bolt II's have a seperate bolt head that can be removed and replaced from the bolt body. The bolt head itself is about $65.00. Already found the right one, and it's a 30-day special order piece.

Why would you not build off of one?
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Prospect Oregon
Posts: 34
Re: Anyone custom a Browning A-Bolt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Browning A-Bolt II's have a seperate bolt head that can be removed and replaced from the bolt body. The bolt head itself is about $65.00. Already found the right one, and it's a 30-day special order piece.

Why would you not build off of one?

Hey MudRunner Just wanted to let you Know you will never see that special order bolt head. I tried the same thing from midway and brownells, They will not be able to get the bolt head because it is a restricted item. Some places still have them in stock from 2008 before they restricted them. That being said if you can find one in stock anywhere, and it has a smaller bolt face then what you are wanting you can open up the bolt face.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,285
Re: Anyone custom a Browning A-Bolt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50BMG Hunter View Post
Hey MudRunner Just wanted to let you Know you will never see that special order bolt head. I tried the same thing from midway and brownells, They will not be able to get the bolt head because it is a restricted item. Some places still have them in stock from 2008 before they restricted them. That being said if you can find one in stock anywhere, and it has a smaller bolt face then what you are wanting you can open up the bolt face.
Midway doesn't have any in stock....So I might have to call Browning and find out if they will sell me one direct. They sent me a free Boss CR when I bought my first A-Bolt II used, and told them I bought it used, and that I wanted to purchase a BOSS CR, and they sent me one for free. I thought that was really nice of them. Maybe they'll sell me a bolt-head....Who knows? It's worth a shot...
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-02-2013, 01:54 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Prospect Oregon
Posts: 34
Re: Anyone custom a Browning A-Bolt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Midway doesn't have any in stock....So I might have to call Browning and find out if they will sell me one direct. They sent me a free Boss CR when I bought my first A-Bolt II used, and told them I bought it used, and that I wanted to purchase a BOSS CR, and they sent me one for free. I thought that was really nice of them. Maybe they'll sell me a bolt-head....Who knows? It's worth a shot...

Thats where I started, Browning told me to go pound sand that it was a restricted item and that I would have to send my rifle to them to install it. MudRunner the only reason they sent you a CR break for free is because they don't want people suing them for hearing loss.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,285
Re: Anyone custom a Browning A-Bolt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50BMG Hunter View Post
Thats where I started, Browning told me to go pound sand that it was a restricted item and that I would have to send my rifle to them to install it. MudRunner the only reason they sent you a CR break for free is because they don't want people suing them for hearing loss.
Oh......LOL Either way, a freebie is a freebie!

So, if you send them your reciever and have them put a bolt head in it, will they send you your old magnum bolt-head back with it?
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 4422′44″N 1082′35″W
Posts: 3,801
Re: Anyone custom a Browning A-Bolt?

I am having a 375 ruger built on an A-bolt as we speak
__________________
Mike

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Anyone custom a Browning A-Bolt?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6.5-06 AI Browning A Bolt? saintscustomwork Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 1 08-24-2011 07:30 PM
))) FS Browning A-bolt ((( bbgatech74 Guns For Sale 3 05-07-2011 08:45 PM
Any custom long range Browning A-bolt owners? vandiver Long Range Hunting & Shooting 3 05-31-2009 02:27 PM
WTB Browning A Bolt 300 RUM cyrossi Guns For Sale 0 02-19-2008 02:46 PM
.300 RUM Browning A-Bolt srhaggerty Guns For Sale 5 04-15-2005 06:38 AM

Current Poll
Spot & Stalk or Ambush For Western Deer?
MOSTLY - Spot & Stalk - 73.55%
1,001 Vote
MOSTLY - Ambush - 26.45%
360 Votes
Total Votes: 1,361
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC