Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Anyone custom a Browning A-Bolt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 06:29 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Anyone custom a Browning A-Bolt?

I've got a Douglas air gauged XX on a 6.5mm/06. It copper fouls quickly. Shoots alright, I guess. But I have others, with other manufactures' barrels (Harts, Kriegers, Brux), that are definately more accurate and easier to clean , to boot!
Old 05-15-2013, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjjkels View Post
nope model 710 cheapo like I said,even came with a quality bushnell on it. That browning does have 1-10 twist, but seems to like the lighter ones,I wanted to shoot 200's but cant get em to fly. My wife is REALLY getting tired of hearing that gun. I want to try the 175gr have to wait till she 's not around. Maybe they'll shoot ok
I hear those rare package deal bushnells are becoming more and more scarce.....Better hang on to that one, I heard they were fetching around a whole $50.00 these days...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
I've got a Douglas air gauged XX on a 6.5mm/06. It copper fouls quickly. Shoots alright, I guess. But I have others, with other manufactures' barrels (Harts, Kriegers, Brux), that are definately more accurate and easier to clean , to boot!
I didn't ever have any copper fouling problems with mine....Hmmm, maybe I got a good one. But I honestly don't think my smith would steer me wrong. He's a good old guy and been smithing for years. I'd love to get a Rock Creek 5R .284 1:9, but I hear the wait times are kinda long...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 05-15-2013, 06:53 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I didn't ever have any copper fouling problems with mine....Hmmm, maybe I got a good one. But I honestly don't think my smith would steer me wrong. He's a good old guy and been smithing for years. I'd love to get a Rock Creek 5R .284 1:9, but I hear the wait times are kinda long...
Lead times for any premium barrel aren't what they used to be. Order now for hunting season 2014, so you don't get disappointed!
Old 05-15-2013, 07:05 PM

I had my A-Bolt rebarreled and remember the only issue was the wrench used to remove the barrel. My smith had to buy a new one but is was $30 if I remember correctly. My original barrel was a 22" plus BOSS in 22-250. The brake was too loud so I had a Kreiger #5 with 1:9 twist installed and have been happy since. Shoots great and I am pleased.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:22 PM
Bronze Member

Nice thread gents! I have been feeling bad sense I was told about stocks cracking (synthetic) and could of did alot better for same or less money. Read the 12 pages and seems like the local gun shop took me. Wanted to build accurate LRH rifle that would put meat in freezer for my 6yr. son and I. But now after accident I am disabled so don't make the big bucks anymore. My Brownie is the .338wm w/BOSS and NIB for 10 yrs. now. What is the smart thing to do with it now? I have a Rem. 700/270win and a Savage 06 Spring. The 270 has wooden thumbhole stock and 06 is synthetic. I don't know what to do now, want to start learning to reload so have most things but ordered Forster Press and have old Redding beam scale so need good digital scale. Can't afford much so may need to trade or sell depends on what this board says as I don't know, wish I had knowledge in this.
>
Thanks, JASTECH
Old 05-28-2013, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member

Just a quick question for those in the A-Bolt community.....I have a 7mm RemMag as you all know.....Is it possible for me to buy a Browning A-Bolt 300 RUM magainze and use snap it directly onto my floorplate, that would allow me to mazimize my 7mm RemMag loads on out to full COL's where I could run my hunting loads on out to where they're most accurate, but it would still be a repeater...

Quote: