Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Anyone burned out a custom barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Anyone burned out a custom barrel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwobble View Post
Jeff, What type of velocity are you guys getting If you dont mind me asking.... oh ya and barrel legth.
Both rifles have 28" Broughton 5C's 1 in 10 twist.

My rifle shoots the 215 at 3035.

Young_Gun's shoots the 230's at 2775

Jeff
Old 04-03-2013, 10:16 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
deathwobble,

yes, I've shot out several hundred over the years. You're asking a question that's far too broad here. I've had many that went up to 3-4 thousand rounds. I've had others that were gone in less than four or five hundred rounds. The chambering, intensity of the load and bullet weights involved all go into this equation. Perhaps most importantly, what is "shot out"? That's a question that only the shooter can answer, and it'll vary wildly from one shooter to the next. What a Marksman Long Range shooter considers perfectly acceptable, a High Master would have pulled long before. In my case, when using these barrels for testing, I HAD to have ten-round 1/2 MOA groups, consistently, without fail. As soon as they lost that edge, I pulled them, since they weren't worth my time to mess with anymore. I always had several guys who would be waiting for my take off barrels, to be redone as hunting rifles. Many of them went on to very long and happy hunting careers after they were and the guys were always happy to get them.

Like I said, there's several questions more that need to be answered here, before you can really get any kind of definitive answer to this one.
First of all Im not benchrest shooting this will be a weekend shooter out to a mile, and everything in between but all that said I would like to have a healthy accurate 2000 round barrel life. I also intend to push the loads as heavy as I can without sacrificing accuracy so untill I know how hot they are theres no way of probably telling how much life I can expect. All Ive gathered so far is that the RUM will probably wear quiker and I kinda think the added wear is probably not worth the small perfomance gain.................. Unless someone can change my mind?

Last edited by deathwobble; 04-03-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Both rifles have 28" Broughton 5C's 1 in 10 twist.

My rifle shoots the 215 at 3035.

Young_Gun's shoots the 230's at 2775

Jeff
Nice sounds like some heathly loads... I gonna have my gunsmith finish my barrel out a 30" . Really curious to see what kind of velocity I can accurately produce
Old 04-04-2013, 06:32 AM
Platinum Member

deathwobble,

From what you're describing here, you're looking at a worst case scenario, regardless of which one you go with. Large capacity cases are harder on barrels than smaller ones (pressures being equal), higher pressure cartridges are harder on barrels than lower, and heavy bullet loads are harder on barrels than lighter bullets. Throw varying flame temps between various (double or single base) powders, and you begin to see how many variables are at work here. On top of this, you need to consider "how" barrels go bad. I've never seen one just suddenly stop shooting. A good quality barrel will continue to shoot outstanding groups, but you see in increase in flyers, first very slightly out of the group. As the round count climbs, those flyers become both more frequent, and will tend to move further away from the centroid of the group. At some point, you just have to admit that it's time to pull the plug, because that barrel is dead. In my work, I simply didn't have the time to waste it messing with a questionable barrel. I also kept logs on each barrel, and when they approached the point where similarly chambered barrels had died, I began looking for signs that the bore was gone. With a standard 308 Win, that was usually around 3,500 rounds, give or take a few hundred. With the 300 WM, 1,200 was usually about as far as they went.

Barrels are expendable, and if you're going to play certain games, you need to wrap your mind around that fact. They're "perishable tooling," and nothing more. From what you're saying you want to do here, I'd say somewhere around 1,000 rounds is a pretty safe bet, and wouldn't count on a barrel going much beyond that, if that far. Cost of doing business.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:55 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
deathwobble,

From what you're describing here, you're looking at a worst case scenario, regardless of which one you go with. Large capacity cases are harder on barrels than smaller ones (pressures being equal), higher pressure cartridges are harder on barrels than lower, and heavy bullet loads are harder on barrels than lighter bullets. Throw varying flame temps between various (double or single base) powders, and you begin to see how many variables are at work here. On top of this, you need to consider "how" barrels go bad. I've never seen one just suddenly stop shooting. A good quality barrel will continue to shoot outstanding groups, but you see in increase in flyers, first very slightly out of the group. As the round count climbs, those flyers become both more frequent, and will tend to move further away from the centroid of the group. At some point, you just have to admit that it's time to pull the plug, because that barrel is dead. In my work, I simply didn't have the time to waste it messing with a questionable barrel. I also kept logs on each barrel, and when they approached the point where similarly chambered barrels had died, I began looking for signs that the bore was gone. With a standard 308 Win, that was usually around 3,500 rounds, give or take a few hundred. With the 300 WM, 1,200 was usually about as far as they went.

Barrels are expendable, and if you're going to play certain games, you need to wrap your mind around that fact. They're "perishable tooling," and nothing more. From what you're saying you want to do here, I'd say somewhere around 1,000 rounds is a pretty safe bet, and wouldn't count on a barrel going much beyond that, if that far. Cost of doing business.
thanks for the incite. Like I said before I just want to make sure im not missing something
Old 04-04-2013, 07:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian b View Post
This is more than just a bit of a stretch
I,m Sorry you don,t believe that a rifle can have over 20,000 rounds through it and still shoot.

When I tried out for the rifle team at Paris Iland I was given an armory rifle that had over
75,000 rounds through it and managed to qualified anyway. It wouldn't shoot 1/2 Mao groups
but was a consistent 1 MOA shooter.

As I said earlier, there are a lot of reasons that a barrel gets shot out and one poster stated shot out means different things to different shooters.

My match rifle is in 308 win and has a heavy hart barrel and the loads that were the most accurate were under 2700 ft/sec. this was the only match rifle that I could afford and it was taken very good
care of.

I used it to compete in 200, 300, 600,1,000 and on occasion 2,000 yard Creedmore matches and to be completive it had to shoot sub 1/2 Mao.

I still have this rifle in its original condition and would be happy to show you the match book (It has all the matches it was use in and the round count of those matches)and the accuracy of the rifle if you would like to see it, I would be happy to demonstrate it for you.

Is This unusual ?Yes . is it common ? No but it does and has happened Before.

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-04-2013, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member

JE

bolt gun or M1A?

1k M1As are totally different setup than 600 yd across the course (200-600 yd matches)
guns which would have to have been M1A if 308.

So obviously you are talking multiple guns and calibers for all those matches. Maybe that was causing the confusion.

BH