Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Anyone burned out a custom barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 08:06 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Anyone burned out a custom barrel?

thanks for the for the advise guys... leaning towards the the WinMag just making sure i didnt miss something about the RUM before ordering the whole set up dies, bullets etc.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwobble View Post
thanks for the for the advise guys... leaning towards the the WinMag just making sure i didnt miss something about the RUM before ordering the whole set up dies, bullets etc.
The 300 win with a 215 Berger Hybrid is one nice set up. We took a little gal out the other evening to see if she could deal with the recoil and sound from the brake on my 300 win. She is deciding what she wants for a new rifle. She left with a big smile and her mind made up after she put 2 into a spot the size of a paper plate on a rock wall at 933 yards. That was the farthest she had ever attempted to shoot.

Jeff
Old 04-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Bronze Member

Nice, ever run 230 bergers through your WinMag? pretty sure Im gonna try a box see how they work out.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

deathwobble,

yes, I've shot out several hundred over the years. You're asking a question that's far too broad here. I've had many that went up to 3-4 thousand rounds. I've had others that were gone in less than four or five hundred rounds. The chambering, intensity of the load and bullet weights involved all go into this equation. Perhaps most importantly, what is "shot out"? That's a question that only the shooter can answer, and it'll vary wildly from one shooter to the next. What a Marksman Long Range shooter considers perfectly acceptable, a High Master would have pulled long before. In my case, when using these barrels for testing, I HAD to have ten-round 1/2 MOA groups, consistently, without fail. As soon as they lost that edge, I pulled them, since they weren't worth my time to mess with anymore. I always had several guys who would be waiting for my take off barrels, to be redone as hunting rifles. Many of them went on to very long and happy hunting careers after they were and the guys were always happy to get them.

Like I said, there's several questions more that need to be answered here, before you can really get any kind of definitive answer to this one.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwobble View Post
Nice, ever run 230 bergers through your WinMag? pretty sure Im gonna try a box see how they work out.
Yes, My son "Young_Gun" shoots the 230's in his 300 win. He is very happy with them as well.

Jeff
Old 04-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Bronze Member

Jeff, What type of velocity are you guys getting If you dont mind me asking.... oh ya and barrel legth.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post

I have a 308 match rifle that I competed for 15 years with that has well over 20,000 rounds down
the tube and will still hold 1/2 MOA (Iron Sites) if I do my part. The lead and throat show some
signs of wear and If accuracy ever falls off I will set the chamber back one thread because the
rest of the barrel still looks good.

J E CUSTOM
This is more than just a bit of a stretch