Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

anyone admit to making a terrible shot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 07:29 AM
Gold Member

Re: anyone admit to making a terrible shot

I've been there too. In fact I made two bad shots in the same day a few hours apart. These were both while bow hunting. The first a really nice 8 pointer came down the trail I was watching from my tree stand. He stopped at exactly 23 yds, well maybe not (exactly) this was in the days before good laser range finders, in fact I think it was before bad laser range finders so that will tell you how long ago. Back then you would pace off your distance to your stand and note the locations by survey tape or a landmark. I'm sure some of you have been there. Any way the buck comes in and stops broadside with his nose on the ground facing to the left, I drew took careful aim good anchor point and all that, when I released I hit him in the ass, WTH he turns and runs out of there. Hoping I may of hit femoral artery I get down to look for blood. There was blood but it was dark red mussel blood. I waited a few min. then took up the trail which was pretty easy to follow since there was a very light dusting of snow on the ground. I followed it for about 200 yds. until it gave out completely, showing no signs of being hit fatally I went back to my stand. About 10 minutes after settling in here comes a 9 point stops in the exact same place only facing right so I come to full draw release and hit him squarely in the neck. Holy crap I can't believe this, so I get down find about two drops of blood nothing else. By now I'm really confused and am thinking my sights have to have been knocked out of alignment some how.
I stopped by my buddies house to relay the story and to check my sights there dead on. This took place on a Tuesday, fast forward to Saturday opening day of gun season,(shotgun&muzzle loader) Indiana. I'm up in the same stand at first light still being confused on what took place a few days before I'm looking towards the spot both deer were standing with my binoculars and notice about 20' out from my stand a small limb,(were talking about the diameter of a tooth pick) with a fresh nick in it. The only thing I can figure is one of the shoots hit this limb with the broad head and the other maybe the fletching barely touched it, sending both shots slightly right.
Now here is where it gets crazy. I hear a deer running through the leaves about 80 yds away look through the bino's and see a doe right behind her is a nice buck. When they both stop I already have him in the cross hairs. I make the shot a perfect double lung he goes maybe 20 yds. and is down for the count. I get down go over and start field dressing him. By now my buddy is there we drag him out load him in the truck and take him home. As I'm getting ready to hang him and get him skinned I noticed a wound on his neck that is completely healed over I stuck the point of my knife in the wound and hit metal, when I dug it out there is my broad head intact. It was the second buck I shot a few days before. He showed no indication off being injured. I only hope the first one fared as well. Hunt long enough it's gonna happen. I still have the broad head along with a picture of that buck hanging in my office.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
who said it was left there. We harvest every bit of the meat out of those deer and work harder then about any hunters i know to recover every deer we shoot at.
You did; that is why I "quoted" you!
You know full well what I'm talking about; but I'll spell it out for you again!

I'm talking about you "leaving it there" for hours, "dying a terrible death!"
That is the "TERRIBLE" part!
Anyone can make a bad shot, and it is nothing to be ashamed of, (unless you are shooting beyond your ability.) The "terrible" part is your arrogance in thinking you couldn't make a bad shot; then being opposite of "work harder" by being too lazy to go check on your animal.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 09-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgoto View Post

Anyone can make a bad shot, and it is nothing to be ashamed of, (unless you are shooting beyond your ability.) The "terrible" part is your arrogance in thinking you couldn't make a bad shot; then being opposite of "work harder" by being too lazy to go check on your animal.
Being a bit harsh? After all he did own up to it and started this thread. I don't know if arrogance plays in it or not but the lesson learned is go check the shot.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgoto View Post

How's that soapbox treating you?

t

Old 09-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Being a bit harsh?
No. I was very easy with him the first time around; he choose to not get the point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
...but the lesson learned is go check the shot.
Yes, that is the point.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 09-25-2013, 06:48 PM
Silver Member

My worst shot ever was a close shot at 50yrds on a deer.
The only rifle I had with me at the time was my 375, I had just put a new set of rings/bases and a new scope on her and had just finished bore sighting. I made sure I wound the reticle up to be about 2" higher than boreline, as usual when boresighting. I hadn't had a chance to actually check POI when a doe walked out feeding just behind one of my sheds. I held high on the shoulder and proceeded to shoot her right in the knee joint. What a shock that was!
I was able to shoot her again and put her down, but it was close to being a very bad outcome because it was only luck that a fence pulled her up long enough for me to hold over her back and fire again. It's the only fence on my property that has mesh on it, it's my potty calf paddock.
I learnt right there to NEVER use a rifle unless you KNOW where it's hitting.

I have felt really stupid ever since that incident, and don't plan on repeating it any time soon.

Cheers.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

I've had a few...

A few years ago I had a cull buck that I bow-shot and pinned his hips. I recovered him but it was not a good shot and not a good feeling as I knew it took a long time for him to expire. I never figured out why it was such a bad miss - I guess I just didn't give the shot the respect it deserved, and just wasn't fully focused. It felt crappy and I try to avoid it ever happening again.

A stupid one I had when I first started hunting: I live in the shotgun zone and when I hunt here it is almost entirely with my bow. One year we get a really nice, no wind, light snow day a week into gun season. My wife is gone, so I decide to go sit in a tree. I have some slugs laying around and an old mossberg 500 with a bead sight. I figure if I keep my shots to bow range I've got no issues. About 10 minutes in I have a decent buck chasing a doe pop out in front of me and dead stop broadside at 25 yards. I line him up and slowly squeeze - BANG - drops like a rock DRT. First gun kill ever, man this is really easy they just drop. I walk up and see no hole??? It took me a bit to find the slug-sized through-and-through, dead center neck shot about 6 inches below his head. Not so good... But a good common sense lesson: if you haven't shot with it, you don't know where it shoots - DUMBASS.