Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

anyone admit to making a terrible shot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 05:27 AM
Gold Member

anyone admit to making a terrible shot

I shoot alot of deer every year and take pride in the fact that i usually shoot well. Last night was an exception. Most deer we shoot are out at 300 plus yards. Last night i had one in front of me at 125 and was using my 300 H&H with a 150 tsx. Shot the deer and it dropped on the spot. It was early so i kept hunting but didnt see anything else. At dark i went over to guy it and found it laying there dead with a broken back. i was shooting right behind the shoulder and the shot felt right and hit the deer right where the hind quarters conect to the back bone. I dont remember my gun getting bumped so i cant blame the gun or scope but i will either check it today if i have time or grab a different rifle till i have time to. I think what happened was that it was such a short shot i didnt take my time and just thought it was a chip shot. It taught me a lesson though. A guys got to take the same attitude toward a shot on live game at 50 yards as he does at 500. I just as easily could have sent that deer off to die a terrible death.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:20 AM
Bronze Member

Re: anyone admit to making a terrible shot

Yup, first archery kill on a deer. I wasn't in correct shooting form and my sleeve hit the string when I released the arrow. Pinned the does back legs together for about a second or two then it got up and took off. Thank God I hit the artery back there or Id never found her. If your goin to hunt I think its something that happens to everyone eventually.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member

If you shoot enough game you will eventually put a bad shot on something now and then. Probably the worst shot I ever made was on a deer out in a power line cut about 10 seconds before it got too dark. I was using a 7mm Rem mag with 139 gr Hornady interlocks. There was a lot of sage grass and the deer was 300 yards away. I spotted him with my binoculars and he was facing right. By the time I got my rifle on him he looked like he was facing left. I placed the cross hairs where the center of his front shoulder should be and boom. What I thought was him took off running to the left but what actually was him was crawling with his front legs to the right. I got down from the stand and went quickly out and had to put a finishing shot in his neck. There were two bucks. When I first spotted what I thought was one deer it had its head up and was facing right. When I got the scope on him he had his head down and another buck that had it head down when I spotted the first one was standing on the other side of the first buck and had it's head up facing left. I though between the time I dropped the binoculars and got the rifle scope on him he had turned around. Ended up placing the shot right where I aimed. It was dead center in the ball socket of the hams. Do you know what a 139 gr Hornady SP from a 7mm mag does to a deers hams. Both hams looked like a bloody can of dog food. Salvaged the back straps and front shoulders.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILtoMT50 View Post
Yup, first archery kill on a deer. I wasn't in correct shooting form and my sleeve hit the string when I released the arrow. Pinned the does back legs together for about a second or two then it got up and took off. Thank God I hit the artery back there or Id never found her. If your goin to hunt I think its something that happens to everyone eventually.
Mine was a similar situation...First bow kill when I was about 14. but I clipped him in the briskit, right in front of his shoulders...Terrible shot.

We tracked him for hours and hours, found him 2 days later thanks to the buzzards. Meat ruined, so we did the right thing, sawed the antlers off, and left him for the yotes and panthers.

Felt bad about my shot, but atleast we finally found the deer. Have done everything I can to make solid shots every since...And have. I never get lax... 50 yards to 500 yards. I take the same amount of time to make sure I hit where I'm aiming.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:33 AM
Silver Member

I had a similar experience last year, and it was also a short shot, around 75 yards. I had a doe quartering away a bit in some trees. I hurried to make the shot, even though there was no hurry. In my hurry, I used a poor rest, and ended up shooting the deer just in front of the hind quarter. The bullet passed through the guts, and came out on the other side just in front of the diaphragm. The deer laid down, and I got a better rest and shot her again in the neck to finish her off.

That experience made me recognize that I can't take any shots for granted, and that I need to put the same effort into a short shot as I would a long one.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:53 AM
Gold Member

give you all credit for your honesty. Many guys would never admit it.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
give you all credit for your honesty. Many guys would never admit it.

Poor shots happen to everyone at some point. It sure makes you feel sick; doesn't it? I had an ID-10-T error last year. Got buck fever & didn't assess wind at my target. Ended up dead on for elevation & nearly a full Mil off for wind, dumb ass rookie mistake & I still think about it. Thankfully my poor shot to the diaphram put'em down & a follow up thru the neck finshed the deal.

It has happened or will happen to everyone at some point. Point is; Are you man enough to do the right thing? Most here are.

t