Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Anybody useing Krieger barrels ? / opponions on them ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2005, 08:31 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Anybody useing Krieger barrels ? / opponions on them ??

[ QUOTE ]
I have noticed that their arn't to many guys here that are shooting Krieger barrels , juts wondering if their was any reason.
I talked to one of their Tech Reps today for a while and they sound as good or better than all the other top end tubes but I'm guessing that anybody that works their isin't gonna bad mouth their products so I was looking for some realy world results and thoughts on how they compair to Hart,Rock and Broughton?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where you been looking???

Kreiger has the longest backlog in the industry -- someone is using them!

Worked for me so far -- have a 5.3" 10-shot group at 1K and a 1.350 5shot group at 500M under its belt so far.

honestly, you cant go wrong with any mentioned so far [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

YMMV,
JB
Old 05-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member

I concur. Been using two of them now and plan on getting a few more! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:35 AM

Have been using a Krieger barrel in .30-06 for F Class Competition for 2 years now. Great barrel.

Don
Old 06-02-2005, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Have been using a Krieger barrel in .30-06 for F Class Competition for 2 years now. Great barrel.

Don

[/ QUOTE ]

HEY DON!!! Welcome buddy!!

Jason
Old 06-02-2005, 08:56 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Kreiger makes excellent barrels. However, in my opinion they are a bit on the soft side and wear out a bit faster than others.

[/ QUOTE ]Chris Matthews, I would like to get more of your reasoning on this topic because my gunsmith talked me into a Kreiger 3 groove 1-10" on my 338 MOAG because (he said a cut rifled barrel from Krieger would maintain it's throat longer than a standard button rifled barrel) so far I really cant say because there are only 400 rounds down it ,but I think I will like Kreiger more than most.
B
Old 06-03-2005, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
HEY DON!!! Welcome buddy!!

Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Jason. Don't know how much I can contribute to this site, since I don't do any long range hunting, but I do have an opinion or two about long range shooting. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Don
Old 06-03-2005, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member

I talk to a guy at Krieger for a while the other day about their barrels and how they differed from others. He said that the cut rifled barrels will generaly last a little longer due to the grooves being cut into the steel and not forced out of the way , he told me that if you looked at a buttoned barrel under a HIGH power bore scope that you could see what looked like small cracks that were made from the stress of the button. It sounded like it made sense to me , one point for Krieger. He also said that their basic price list covered a very wide rage of things that could be changed like their fluting they normaly use 10 - 3/16 flutes cut .040" deep but said that they would cut pretty much what ever I wanted so long as it was safe but would not go any deeper to the bore than .196" makes sense not to go to deep all at no extra cost , another point for Krieger
I also asked about the differance between a SS barrel and chromemoly tube as far as barrel life , he mentioned that the SS is a bit softer than the CM but that as long as you kept them both clean and not abused the CM that you would get just as long barrel life from the CM as the SS

I'm not totaly sold yet on them I want to talk to Mike Rock a little bit more about his process and his style flutes before I commit to one maker , he supposidly flutes his barrels before their are ever cut rifled which seems like it would make for a good stress free barrel?

I did talk to Broughton barrels and diden't realy feel like the person I was talking to realy know what they were talking about , I guess it was a secretary can't blame her.

BUT , like the man said Broughton is one of the winningist barrels going right now and that a hard fact to beat.