Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Anybody have any experience with the 7mm 180 Berger Hybrid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Bronze Member

Anybody have any experience with the 7mm 180 Berger Hybrid?

Looks like I made a mistake and ordered a match Hybrid instead of the Hunting Hybrid 180 gr. I was planning on trying it in my 7STW, .280AI and a .284. Does anybody use this bullet to hunt? What type of results? Thanks
Old 03-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Anybody have any experience with the 7mm 180 Berger Hybrid?

I got some 180 Hunting VLD's a few weeks ago. I have them loaded up, but have yet to get to the range to test fire. I have them loaded in 2 sets of 6 (2 x 3-shot groups). One set with RL-22, and one set with H1000. Once I get them dialed in, I will post my load data and results.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:06 AM
Platinum Member

To date there is no such thing as the 180 hunting hybrid....yet. Bet it is in the works.

My friend shoots the 180 hybrid match from his 1000 BR light rifle chambered in 7mm Saum. I was with him when he worked up a load at our local 200 yd range. He took the best load after that one range session and took it to a match. He won high score, best aggrigate and smallest group. Not bad for first time out.

I just ordered a couple of boxes to shoot in an upcoming LR package in 7mm/375 Ruger with 29" barrel. I intend to shoot a coues wt with this bullet next year. I have no doubts that it will perform well and expand enough to mash um flat. Just read how Broz used the heavy 30 cal 215 hybrid and 230 OTM the last two years to understand that the match bullet will work for hunting.

According to the folks at Berger the forward portion of the bullet on these hybrids are the same as the hunting versions, the bearing surfaces are thicker.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Platinum Member

+1 there's only 1 180gr hybrid at this time

I've been playing with them this winter and I like em, their just an accurate bullet. Go ahead and work up your load and have fun.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 03-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayR View Post
Does anybody use this bullet to hunt?

Yes, we have.

What type of results?

Dead deer and elk and the coyotes we shot had HUGE holes. They expand very well and damage to vitals were very evident during field dressing. We shoot them from one of the 7mm-300's.

Thanks
The BC difference from the hunting VLD is not that much. .659 / .674 (??) We tried them because of results we were fond of using other "Target Hybrids" for hunting. We are still using them.

Jeff