Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Any reason not to build a 300 Rsaum?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Any reason not to build a 300 Rsaum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
I don't disagree with you but the whole argument is problematic in that the premise relies on what each cartridge WILL do, not necessarily what it will do with precision and satisfactory accuracy.

Case in point: I have a 7 SAUM and a 300 SAUM, all else identical in every way possible, take the bullets you posed, the 215 and 180 respectively. If everything goes right and I want to shoot a target at 1000 yards, you are saying the 300 wins. Probably true, I don't know, never did the test. But what if the best accuracy comes from the slower speed on the 300/215 combo? Losing 200fps or more? But the 7mm/180 combo shows supreme accuracy at the top velocity achievable....seems to me the 7 is going to win now.

All of the repeated debates on this issue seems to fall on best case scenarios day in and day out. Unfortunately, I haven't experienced this to be reality. But I'm not that experienced either.
I'm not saying the 215/300 wins in external ballisitics (vel and wind) I'm saying it's basically a tie. No superiority either way.

Have you shot the 180 hybrid out of your 7? I am guessing you might get 2800 fps out of a 26" barrel? And I'm guessing 2750 is possible in the 300 SAUM for the 215's out of a 26" barrel. You might be able to get a few fps more with te 180 but the 215 has a higher BC so it's basically a wash. I base that on my own experiences withe 7 RM and 300 WSM. I was able to get 2930 shooting 210 Bergers with RL17 out of a 24" barrel. With H4831, I'm guessing I could have got 2750. And the 215's are a little faster bullet than the 210's.

Bottom line when you compare apples to apples, the external ballistics between the 7 and 300 are going to be very close. But when it comes to terminal ballistics, the bigger cal wins.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Any reason not to build a 300 Rsaum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I'm not saying the 215/300 wins in external ballisitics (vel and wind) I'm saying it's basically a tie. No superiority either way.

Have you shot the 180 hybrid out of your 7? I am guessing you might get 2800 fps out of a 26" barrel? And I'm guessing 2750 is possible in the 300 SAUM for the 215's out of a 26" barrel. You might be able to get a few fps more with te 180 but the 215 has a higher BC so it's basically a wash. I base that on my own experiences withe 7 RM and 300 WSM. I was able to get 2930 shooting 210 Bergers with RL17 out of a 24" barrel. With H4831, I'm guessing I could have got 2750. And the 215's are a little faster bullet than the 210's.

Bottom line when you compare apples to apples, the external ballistics between the 7 and 300 are going to be very close. But when it comes to terminal ballistics, the bigger cal wins.
No I don't own either of the SAUM. I was giving an example. Still a topic, fertile grounds for discussion, but I'm a simple guy and just look at the outcome, the dead deer, etc. I'm less concerned about all of the ballistic characteristics out there than most. I hunt with what I like and have and make the best of it and just check my trajectories and go hunting.

There's no shortage of guys out there who will make good points about how a 7mm trumps a .277, and so on but I am content with what my rifles and ammo do and they have served me well at all distances I have killed game, some of which I would be accused of being dishonest with what my plain old 270 Win has done in Wyoming and Colorado