close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Reply

Any reason not to build a 300 Rsaum?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 10-17-2013, 09:59 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 163
Any reason not to build a 300 Rsaum?

Just picked up a NIB stainless 700 in 300 saum. Thinking about doing a build off it but wondered if I should keep the saum or go with something different. I already have 7saum.
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 10-17-2013, 10:30 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 7,001
    Re: Any reason not to build a 300 Rsaum?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nctta View Post
    Just picked up a NIB stainless 700 in 300 saum. Thinking about doing a build off it but wondered if I should keep the saum or go with something different. I already have 7saum.

    None that I can think of.

    The only advantage to the 300 WSM over the SAUM would be brass availability.

    J E CUSTOM
    __________________
    "PRESS ON"
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 10-17-2013, 10:59 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Posts: 133
    Re: Any reason not to build a 300 Rsaum?

    In my opinion, I see no reason to build a 300 RSAUM when you already have a 7mmSAUM. The 7mm will have superior ballistics in just about every catagory over a 30 caliber in the same cartridge. I guess the question is, what are your intentions with this new build? Hunting, target, etc....
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 10-17-2013, 11:12 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2009
    Posts: 163
    Re: Any reason not to build a 300 Rsaum?

    Got .223
    Got .243
    Got a 25/06 and 25wssm
    Got a 6.5/06, 6.5brm, and 260
    Got a 270 and 270wsm
    Got a 280, 280ai, 7/08, 7wsm, and 7saum


    Got 338wm and 338 RCM

    I want it to fill a 30cal hole in my bolt gun collection
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 10-17-2013, 11:36 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Alabama
    Posts: 9,457
    Re: Any reason not to build a 300 Rsaum?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nctta View Post
    Got .223
    Got .243
    Got a 25/06 and 25wssm
    Got a 6.5/06, 6.5brm, and 260
    Got a 270 and 270wsm
    Got a 280, 280ai, 7/08, 7wsm, and 7saum


    Got 338wm and 338 RCM

    I want it to fill a 30cal hole in my bolt gun collection
    What you need is a 7mm STW.

    Here's a few other gaps I see.....6.5 Sherman, 6.5 SS, .257 Wby Mag, .300 WinMag, .338 Lapua......
    __________________
    "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

    "Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 10-18-2013, 12:06 AM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2009
    Posts: 163
    Re: Any reason not to build a 300 Rsaum?

    Yep I agree that there may be some ballistic gaps, but I have a 300saum donor to work with and Im looking for a 30cal that will work with my action.
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 10-18-2013, 12:33 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Alabama
    Posts: 9,457
    Re: Any reason not to build a 300 Rsaum?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nctta View Post
    Yep I agree that there may be some ballistic gaps, but I have a 300saum donor to work with and Im looking for a 30cal that will work with my action.
    Pretty much the only thing that will work with that size barrel and bolt and action length combo is .300 WSM or .300 SAUM.....Not much choices I can see with that combo of parts.
    __________________
    "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

    "Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes



    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC