Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Any reason to go with 6.5 creedmoor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 10:43 AM
Silver Member

Any reason to go with 6.5 creedmoor?

I'm currently getting into long range shooting. I have a Sps tactical 308 in a BC medalist stock and a Remington Sendero sf2 in 300 winmag. I want to start shooting some 600 and 1000 yard competitions. I currently have 500rds of 308, would it be better to just shoot the barrel out of the 308 and rebarrel it to a 6.5cm, or sell the 300 and buy a 6.5? Or just keep what I have and shoot them.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Any reason to go with 6.5 creedmoor?

If you already have a .308, and want to re-use your brass for a different caliber, it would be alot easier to just rebarrel it to .260 Rem or .260 Rem AI and you can neck-down your .308 brass to make .260 brass without any major issues. Or, if you prefer, Lapua makes .260 Rem brass you can buy new.

I personally would choose the .260 AI over the 6.5 Creedmoor...Just my personal preference, even though I don't own any 6.5 calibers at the moment, so my opinion is not based on bias, just my personal opinion as to which one I like better. I hope to build a .260 AI someday soon.

I love my .308....And if you can shoot the barrel out of it, you're doing some serious work. It can take upwards of 10,000 rounds to wear out a .308 Win barrel...Sometimes more. I believe the AMU changed their M14 barrels somewhere around 14,000 rounds, if I remember correctly. That's ALOT of shooting.

I think everyone should own a .308. And I am also an advocate of collecting guns, and NOT selling them. I will never sell any guns, because you can ALWAYS fix them up and make them better, unless it gets runover by a D9 dozer of something. Then it'd be comeplete scrap metal. LOL

I say keep the .308 and learn to shoot to 1000 with it, and it will make you a much better shot in the long run, when you do decide to get one of the faster 6.5's, that will make shooting into the wind a breeze (pun intended ).

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrdchaos View Post
I'm currently getting into long range shooting. I have a Sps tactical 308 in a BC medalist stock and a Remington Sendero sf2 in 300 winmag. I want to start shooting some 600 and 1000 yard competitions. I currently have 500rds of 308, would it be better to just shoot the barrel out of the 308 and rebarrel it to a 6.5cm, or sell the 300 and buy a 6.5? Or just keep what I have and shoot them.

Keep the 300 for serious long range work. With the long range bullet offerings starting at 200 grains, your rifle has the capability to reach a mile with ease. For close(er) range shooting, there is nothing wrong with your 308. If it's accurate, keep it & rock on. If/when you do shoot out the barrel, the 6.5 Creed' is a great choice. Factory match ammo is cheap, abundant & accurate. Reloading components are cheap & of high quality. Recoil is light & under most all environmental circumstances, it will outperform the 308 in most all categories except one, barrel life.

As of right now, unless your 308 doesn't perform or you're just tired of it, stick with it. A valuable training tool that will allow you to take game in excess of 500yds (skilled shooter needed) coupled with thousands of rounds of barrel life are hard to beat.

t

Old 03-18-2014, 01:09 PM
Silver Member

I can give you three good reasons for choosing the 6.5Creedmoor.
1. It is accurate.
2. It's easy on the shoulder.
3. It's not a barrel burner like the 6.5X284.
Just my $0.02 worth.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:41 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the info. I've decided to keep both. I'm going to shoot the 308 for the next few years, at that point I may choose to change it up a bit.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrdchaos View Post
Thanks for the info. I've decided to keep both. I'm going to shoot the 308 for the next few years, at that point I may choose to change it up a bit.
Good choice.

Your 308 can do anything the 6.5/260s can and you already have it.

Lots of loads, lots of bullets.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfseaman View Post
Good choice.

Your 308 can do anything the 6.5/260s can and you already have it.

Lots of loads, lots of bullets.

No it can't. But I do agree that there is nothing wrong with the 308.

t