Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

any experience with .338 5R Rock Creek barrels?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 05:49 PM
Silver Member

Re: any experience with .338 5R Rock Creek barrels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
Yep, I have one and it's good, I've had another one ordered for going on three yrs. So many stories it has become a joke.
You wouldn't be the first
Old 10-22-2013, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

You've had a barrel on order for 3 years???

SCREW THAT! I'd go find a Shilen, Douglas, Hart, Krieger, Criterion, or someone else to make me a blank...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Sawyer View Post
I appreciate the feedback. I will do some homework on the lands, I realize it is a ford, chevy question.
Jmden,
Does your rock 5r meet your standards for fps or did you pressure out before ideal velocity? Thanks fellas, brent
Both Kirby and I felt that it would be faster were it not for the considerable amount of bullet compression due to the wide lands. That said, it does OK, if not a little below average in the fps department, I think, although if I had the $ right now, I'd be likely to have it rebarreled, likely with a Krieger or Benchmark. But with either of them, I'd be checking on land width. Nothing like spending $6K, in part to get top fps out of a tube, and then realize there may be mechanical cause, that really shouldn't be there, keeping you from getting that velocity. I have put down 8 big game critters in the past 4 seasons, from 350 to 741 yds with accurate one shot hits, only one of which is from this year so far. As you know, those big 300g bullets really do a number.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
You've had a barrel on order for 3 years???

SCREW THAT! I'd go find a Shilen, Douglas, Hart, Krieger, Criterion, or someone else to make me a blank...
That is actually why this specific barrel is available, the original guy ordered it forever and a moon ago, got tired of waiting and ordered something else. I talked with my
Smith tonight and I am gonna go with a kreiger.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:42 PM
Silver Member

Mud runner, I have bought barrels from Lilja and Krieger since ordering the ones from Rock. I haven't cancelled the Rock barrels because I enjoy calling them up on slow days for the amusement provided by their BS stories. They even told me they would send them to me for free since it had been so long. That was over a yr ago.

I also ordred a 375 barrel over a yr ago. They told me It would only be a week or two turnout because they were cutting a big run of 375s and they would through mine in the mix. I reakon it got consumed in the mix because I haven't seen hide nor hair of it.