Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

any experience with .338 5R Rock Creek barrels?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 07:24 AM
Silver Member

any experience with .338 5R Rock Creek barrels?

My EDGE is due for a new tube. I told my smith that and he mentioned he had a sendero tapered Rock Cr., 5R, fluted and could finish it at 28" at his shop. My current barrel is a hart and I was leaning towards a Kreiger. Does any body have any experience or thoughts with the 338 5r rock?
Old 10-22-2013, 03:35 PM
Bronze Member

Re: any experience with .338 5R Rock Creek barrels?

i will rebarrel with another Rock 5R when mine goes south..
338 Edge
doesnt matter what u go with at this stage there all good and shoot excellent
Old 10-22-2013, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

Mike Rock (Rock Creek) 5R barrels are excellent barrels. I wouldn't hesitate if it were mine.

If he has any Rock Creek 5R .284 caliber 1:9 twist stainless fluted barrel blanks sitting around, let me know...I need one for my .280 Ackley Improved build.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Silver Member

I have chambered a few in 338 Edge, they were all good. I mainly use Brux though
Old 10-22-2013, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

I've had a 29" finished .338 Rock Creek barrel for several years. 338AX made by Kirby Allen. Unless I had a discussion with Rock Creek about the width of their lands first, I probably wouldn't get another. We found that the lands in my barrel were extremely wide, giving something on the order of 40% compression to the bullet. As I recall, Kirby like barrels more in the 21-24% compression range. I don't know if my barrel was unusual in that regard, and it's accurate enough, but the larger bullet compression has got to up pressures/reduce potential fps. Just a thought. Might have your 'smith measure the width of the lands and compute the bullet compression first.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Silver Member

I appreciate the feedback. I will do some homework on the lands, I realize it is a ford, chevy question.
Jmden,
Does your rock 5r meet your standards for fps or did you pressure out before ideal velocity? Thanks fellas, brent
Old 10-22-2013, 05:40 PM
Silver Member

Yep, I have one and it's good, I've had another one ordered for going on three yrs. So many stories it has become a joke.