Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

The thread is closed

Another Henson Aluminum tipped Bullet Test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Silver Member

Re: Another Henson Aluminum tipped Bullet Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss7mm View Post
Ron:

Here are the pics you wanted posted.

300 grain SMK recovered from a mule deer doe 10/28/08 at 805 yards. Estimated velocity 2075fps at impact, mushroomed out to diameter of .861 shortened in length from 1.710 to .986, weight of 189.7 grains. shot quartered from behind right shoulder through 3 ribs traveled through the left shoulder resting just under the hide. This year is my first year to harvest anything over 600 yards, I have recovered quite alot of bullets from alot closer distances shot, I shot another doe at roughly the same distance and a antelope at a longer distance but had complete pass throughs on each of them. A friend harvested a cow elk at over 1000 yards this fall and recovered the 300 grain SMK as well but I have not seen it yet, if I get a look at it, I will post a picture of it. Ron Tilley

Last edited by tillroot1; 12-06-2008 at 12:56 AM. Reason: forgot the yardage.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

Don't show pictures!

Haven't you ever heard that one word = 1,000 pictures!
With all of the words written here that equates to millions of pictures and all of the bandwidth will be used up!

Thanks LV for not listening to those guys, the next thing those guys will want will be videos like at Berger or Nosler, you know something really solid, hold it in your hands kind of thing........:(

edge.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:54 PM
Silver Member

So, as LV might say, " a picture is worth a thousand lies".

Festus
Old 12-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

Meanwhile, back at the "point of accuracy", a new world record was just shot with LG 300wsm using .30/ 210gr bullets. I am not interested in how big a hole these bullets will make, rather how large will a 10 shot group be at 1,000 yards! If I get a less the four inch group at 1K, my shot placement ( and yours) will compensate for any lack of expansion as our kill zone hits will be a given. With the high BC potential here, why is there so much concern over how big an exit hole? In my experience, the pertinent question is where is the hole? Looking at the vertical dispersions from unequal length meplats giving differing BC's with normal Sierra type bullets, what is the advantage of a big hole in the 'hams when we could have one smaller hole in the heart?
Overbore
Old 12-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbore View Post
Meanwhile, back at the "point of accuracy", a new world record was just shot with LG 300wsm using .30/ 210gr bullets. I am not interested in how big a hole these bullets will make, rather how large will a 10 shot group be at 1,000 yards! If I get a less the four inch group at 1K, my shot placement ( and yours) will compensate for any lack of expansion as our kill zone hits will be a given. With the high BC potential here, why is there so much concern over how big an exit hole? In my experience, the pertinent question is where is the hole? Looking at the vertical dispersions from unequal length meplats giving differing BC's with normal Sierra type bullets, what is the advantage of a big hole in the 'hams when we could have one smaller hole in the heart?
Overbore

You're a better shot than me if you can hit a heart every time at three quarters of a mile in hunting conditions! I just try and break down the machinery (shoulder shot) at that range as a perfect heart shot won't put them down where they stand and by the time you hike over to them, they be loooong gone and dead in a bush somewhere.

Now, a headshot would do the trick. But again, a brain is smaller than a heart on an elk and it sure is a tough long range target!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrouper View Post
You're a better shot than me if you can hit a heart every time at three quarters of a mile in hunting conditions! I just try and break down the machinery (shoulder shot) at that range as a perfect heart shot won't put them down where they stand and by the time you hike over to them, they be loooong gone and dead in a bush somewhere.

Now, a headshot would do the trick. But again, a brain is smaller than a heart on an elk and it sure is a tough long range target!
I'm with you GG, I want good terminal performance from a bullet fired at game. After all, I miss the heart by 1/2" or so at 1,000 yards, strange as it sounds.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomosendero View Post
I'm with you GG, I want good terminal performance from a bullet fired at game. After all, I miss the heart by 1/2" or so at 1,000 yards, strange as it sounds.

+2 coun t me in as well