Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Another cleaning question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2006, 07:46 PM
Gold Member

Another cleaning question

What do you guys use for cleaning a bolt?
Old 08-21-2006, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Another cleaning question

I take my firing pin assembley out run a couple patches with whatever bore cleaner I'm using up in their then give it a good brushing with a bore brush that fits semi tight then spraw it out with Gun Scruber followed by a couple light patches of oil then a couple dry ones so not to leave any more oil than is needed. I then give the firing pin asemble a good coating with the bore cleaner ler sit then spray down with Gun Scruber and a light coat of oil.
I take my bolts down for cleaning about ever 100 rounds or so or if the gun gets wet or extra dirty for some reason.

I'm having one built that I may have Robar NP3 coat the inside and out of the bolt
Old 08-21-2006, 08:05 PM
Gold Member

Re: Another cleaning question

If your able to disasemble it on your own, any good parts washer solvent works great. Gun Scrubber, brake cleaner in a spray can will get into the tight areas and spring holes.

After its clean and dry, you can use a non freezing oil to lightly coat the springs and such. Another good lube is a dry moly powder, very slick and no build up. Most oils will turn to a gummy substance and if it gets cold your firing pin will slow down or even not fire. I use the Sentry Solutions Moly Armorers kit, it has all that is needed to slickum up your gun. Moly powder, Alcohol-moly, and moly grease for your locking lugs.

Dave

"Let the good times roll"