Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

annealing velocity change???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: annealing velocity change???

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvnbrg View Post
Normally I would agree however I have been using , with outstanding accuracy thus far, the Applied Ballistics app from Bryan litz which has inputs for those values and which have never been wrong before. Information on this is tough to find! One theory I found was less neck tension due to softer brass makes for lower pressure and reduced velocity. Thoughts?

Run the calc leave the pressure alone for the 1st drop table, run it again and change the pressure by a value 1.0 (1st 29.92, 2nd 28.92) and see what happens, it'll change your trajectory by 1/2moa at the distance you stated, same thing shows up on my shooter app as well. you can also just make up a drop table for the average and go with it, in theory that will keep you within 1/4 moa. that is in theory.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 12-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: annealing velocity change???

The quick and dirty answer is yes, you can see a slight velocity decrease with newly annealed brass, from it's pre-annealed state. I have seen it with my f-class loads often enough that I normally bump up the powder charge .2-.3 grains on the first loading after annealing.

I guess you could say I seen it enough that before the PRS finally which was Dec 1 and 2nd, I annealed all my 6xc brass ( about 400 pcs). Then I loaded it for the biggest match of the year with an extra .2 grains with-out ever testing it. My velocity was within 3 fps of the brass pre-annealing. This allowed me to use all my currrent accumulated data, saving me a bunch of test time.