Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Annealing bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 01:11 AM

Annealing bullets

Can someone explain to me why you would anneal bullets and what affect it has on the terminal ballistics of the round.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:07 AM
Gold Member

Re: Annealing bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman344 View Post
Can someone explain to me why you would anneal bullets and what affect it has on the terminal ballistics of the round.
Don't know where you got this information, I most certainly have not heard of annealing bullets.
You may be confusing annealing the case necks of cartridges PRIOR to loading them, this is done to ensure neck tension is sufficient after many loadings and when the case necks have work hardened.

Annealing a bullet would be very difficult due to the fact that it contains lead and would soak up the heat pretty rapidly and melt and boil out of the jacket.
Cheers.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:35 AM
Gold Member

It is a ridiculous notion to try and anneal a lead cored bullet it's stupid and if the bullet is heated to true annealing temps it could start to melt the core .
The only bullet that could withstand this is a solid metal bullet like a Barnes X or a turned projectile . However it's just not worth doing even then as it could distort the bullet .
If you are looking for a tougher bullet then go a bonded core bullet .
The only real practical way to have an almost fully annealed jacket is to make your own core bonded bullet using the solder bonding process .
Like the old Woodleigh weld core bullets. I think now all commercial bonded bullets wold be chemical bonding .
Old 09-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Silver Member

Bullets are annealed sometimes to improve low velocity expansion properties, I believe some guys on here to this with Sierra Match Kings.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Silver Member

SST and Interbond annealing tutorial

Berger VLD annealing tutorial

Here's a couple links on it
Old 09-01-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minute of elk View Post
Thanks for the info.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Platinum Member

I think for the most part guys who are annealing are just softening the tips to help them open. It works well and is easy enough to do, we are doing bullets that have a little cavity to the nose so you don't affect the lead in any way unless you get a little carried away with the heat. It lets the bullets open a little easier at lower velocity, that's all.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"