Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Amazing accuracy method

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Silver Member

Amazing accuracy method

My nephew said a gunsmith friend of his put him on to tuning the rifle to the load with chamber bedding that is cut back until it shoots good. Anyway, my nephew developed a load for his 338 Edge that had good velocity without pressure signs. He didnít worry about accuracy other than to note what it was. The load shot 1.5 inches at 100 yards. Then he cut back the bedding ľ inch and went back to the range. With the exact same load he is now getting ragged holes at 100 yards. Per the gunsmith you are then supposed to do some minor tweaking of the load to really tighten it up. The gunsmith has the best of his rifles shooting 0.3Ē ten shot groups at 200 yards with this tuning method.

I was always told to float the barrel which means you donít bed the chamber part of the barrel. But Iíve seen the targets and they are pretty compelling. I may have to give this a try but before I do I thought Iíd ask if this is general knowledge and I just didnít get the memo. Any of you guys that do some tweaking already doing this? Any thoughts?
Old 02-24-2014, 06:24 PM
Gold Member

Re: Amazing accuracy method

We've always bedded about 2inches of the barrel channel then floated the rest of the barrel. This has given us excellent accuracy on many, many, rifles.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:44 PM
Gold Member

101, sounds worth an attempt and easy to perform. Only takes a small amount of bedding material to replace it if it doesn't work. The barrel contour would also be a factor.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Hmmmm, nothing new about that, at least for me.

Though I bed first then shoot. I bed the chamber section plus "a little". The working up the load part is fairly quick.

I noticed that a couple of high priced customs I have were bedded similarly by a noted smith on here.

Either way to the OP. Great find!!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

There are several methods that more or less tune the barrel harmonics, I've used a stock that had an adjustable tuner that turning the screw moved a pressure point on the barrel and you could see it dial in. It may produce groups in the short range that are note worthy but you still will need to dial the load in to get ES at a level that you'll have precision at long range.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 02-24-2014, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

There is one problem with this type of bedding. It can cause point of impact changes when you use a different shooting position or rest.
The for end of most stocks have a fair bit of flex in them. Grab your barrel and the for end of your stock and press them together with your hand. See how much flex there is by the change in the gap between stock and barrel.
Now on a fully free floated barrel this will impart no force upon the barrel. However with the stock bedded for an inch or two under the chamber, the stock now acts as a large lever and can impart quite a substantial amount of force upon the barrel knox form.

If this pressure is constant as in when shooting off sand bags off a bench, accuracy can be very good. You will go away thinking you have a great rifle that will slay all manner of game .
However when we go hunting, our field shooting position and our rests can vary quite a bit. This can and will result in variations to the amount of force being applied to the for end of the rifle. This force is magnified by the compound leverage of the long for end and the short bedding under the chamber.

So in my opinion it is better to have a rifle that is fully free floated. You may end up with slightly less grouping ability off the bench but you will have a far more reliable field rifle.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshot View Post
There is one problem with this type of bedding. It can cause point of impact changes when you use a different shooting position or rest.
The for end of most stocks have a fair bit of flex in them. Grab your barrel and the for end of your stock and press them together with your hand. See how much flex there is by the change in the gap between stock and barrel.
Now on a fully free floated barrel this will impart no force upon the barrel. However with the stock bedded for an inch or two under the chamber, the stock now acts as a large lever and can impart quite a substantial amount of force upon the barrel knox form.

If this pressure is constant as in when shooting off sand bags off a bench, accuracy can be very good. You will go away thinking you have a great rifle that will slay all manner of game .
However when we go hunting, our field shooting position and our rests can vary quite a bit. This can and will result in variations to the amount of force being applied to the for end of the rifle. This force is magnified by the compound leverage of the long for end and the short bedding under the chamber.

So in my opinion it is better to have a rifle that is fully free floated. You may end up with slightly less grouping ability off the bench but you will have a far more reliable field rifle.
Never had that problem with any of my rifles. Mine shoot just fine whether killing deer at 50yds or shooting rocks at 700yds.