Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Am I doing something wrong with my Bergers?? Im stumped!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Silver Member

Re: Am I doing something wrong with my Bergers?? Im stumped!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
My dad's 300 WBY like the 210's seated in right up to the start of the ogive. Kinda looks dumb but shoots better than anything he has put down it and he has tryed a lot of stuff.
That's exactly the way I'm havin to do mine to get them to shoot a tight group. Your right it does look really weird, but if that's what it takes then that's what I'll do. I'm glad that someone else is having the same issues I am. It gives me a little reassurance in my efforts.
Thanks again for all the replys.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Trev,
Sometimes with a rifle set up a particular way, strange things happen. try and upset the rifle a bit and see if you can make a new sweet spot.

At the moment you are trying bullet seating depth to improove accuracy. I would try a few other things if you are not happy with the seating depth. As has been mentioned, powders, primers, cases etc.

Also one thing I would do, is take the action out of the stock and examine the bedding under the action and in the barrel channel. Then bed the action if you think it would help. Even on a SPS.

Then I would try different torque settings on the action take down screws. Never know what this may turn up. On one rifle I found that a combination of removing the bedding from under the barrel channel and going from 65in/lb back to 45in/lb made a heck of an improovement in accuracy.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshot View Post
Trev,
Sometimes with a rifle set up a particular way, strange things happen. try and upset the rifle a bit and see if you can make a new sweet spot.

At the moment you are trying bullet seating depth to improove accuracy. I would try a few other things if you are not happy with the seating depth. As has been mentioned, powders, primers, cases etc.

Also one thing I would do, is take the action out of the stock and examine the bedding under the action and in the barrel channel. Then bed the action if you think it would help. Even on a SPS.

Then I would try different torque settings on the action take down screws. Never know what this may turn up. On one rifle I found that a combination of removing the bedding from under the barrel channel and going from 65in/lb back to 45in/lb made a heck of an improovement in accuracy.
The rifle is setting in a H.S. Pres A2 style stock that I just put on it. I'm gonna keep playing with the load that i have but at longer ranges to see how it does. I'll check the torque on the take down screws and try backing them off to a bit to see if thAt will improve anything. I've heard of this before with the screws.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:07 AM
Platinum Member

How do we accept that the gun has any potential?
You implied that you're using one load somebody suggested, right?
If that's true then why on earth would you do that?
If it's not true, then what have you tried as far as loads -before making seating depth changes?

Tell us, why do you think the gun will shoot?
Old 12-12-2009, 07:08 AM
Gold Member

I used to do the seating depth method, now I set my seating depth to what will work in the mag then change the charge in .2-.3 increments until I find my best charge.

Both my scoped rifles got .58moa at 300 yards after ladder testing, 20 shots and I had my load.

I'll need to do it again to find a winter load; I have noticed a good bit of drop from a 50 degree temp drop.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 12-12-2009, 08:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
How do we accept that the gun has any potential?
You implied that you're using one load somebody suggested, right?
If that's true then why on earth would you do that?
If it's not true, then what have you tried as far as loads -before making seating depth changes?

Tell us, why do you think the gun will shoot?
Maybe I'm reading this out of context or I don't fully grasp the what your trying to say in your post? I started with a good base load that someone suggested to me that works to some degree in many guns of this caliber. I did not say that "joe blow" told me an exact load to shoot and nothing else. I was reccomended the "most common" base components such as the H4350, Fed 215 primers, and told that the Bergers were good to try. These are commonly used components for this particular caliber.

How do we accept the gun has any potential?? I have no idea what the hell your getting at with that statement nor do your comment of "Tell us why you think the gun will shoot". I think the gun will shoot because it does! Did you read my first post?? I didn't say I was getting 3" groups at 100 yds .....I just simply said that i was having to seat my bullets very deep, deeper than I figured normal, and I just wanted to get others opinions on this matter since seating depth with the Bergers seems to be a hot topic. I've never had to load a bullet anywhere close to the depth I'm havin to load these.

To all the others, thanks for your time and your replys.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

Additionally-----some tubes just prefer certian bullets. Might try some different weights of the Bergers or the SMK's. My 1K competition rifles prefer the SMK's.