Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Am I doing something wrong with my Bergers?? Im stumped!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Silver Member

Am I doing something wrong with my Bergers?? Im stumped!!

Let me start off my saying that I am very new to "precision" reloading. Here is an overview of what I have and the problem Im having.

I have a Rem. 700 SPS-V in .300WSM that I have been working with hopefully working my way out to 1000yds in the future. I was told by several people when I was getting this rifle set up to shoot the 210gr Berger VLD and was given a good base load to start out with as reference.

Well ive been working with the load and Im using 63grs of H4350, Win brass, Fed. 215 primers, and the 210grn VLD. The load shoots fairly well at 100 yds. If Im doing my part I can put 3 shots on paper that will fit under a quarter.

However.....here is my problem. Ive played with different seating depths on the Bergers all the way from jammed into the lands and everything back from that to well under C.O.A.L. listed in the Speer manual. To get the decent group Im having to seat the Bergers at 2.824 COAL which is really deep in my opinion. Its well below what will fit into the magazine. This goes against everything that Im reading saying that the Bergers do better usually .010 to .020 off the lands. When Im seating them the brass is coming up so high on the bullet right to the point where the bullet begins to taper down.

Is this right? Am I doing something wrong? Or does my rifle just not like the Bergers?? My other concern is that I know that the deeper you seat/greater the distance off the lands the more velocity that you lose and I dont have a chrono, but I was hoping to get atleast 2850-3000 fps with this load.

Would I be better off ditching the Bergers and trying the SMK's?

Again Im not a pro so if I am doing something wrong or seem like a moron please accept my apologies. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and good shooting,
Old 12-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Gold Member

Re: Am I doing something wrong with my Bergers?? Im stumped!!

Trevor,
This link will answer your questions on Bergers:
Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from Berger VLD bullets in Your Rifle
Old 12-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Rockz, but I've looked at that link several times. That's really jus talking about the distance off the lands and the "sweet spot" in your particular rifle. I'm havin to seat quite a bit deeper than all those. Like I said the bulle is seated so deep that the brass is up on the bullet where it begins to taper to the point.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Trevor,

The fact that your rifle shoots best with the bullets seated very deep is not a sign that you're doing anything wrong. That's just where your rifle likes them.

It's true that some rifles like longer OAL's better with the bullet closer to the lands, but not all rifles are the same. As long as you're not pushing the nose of the bullet down into the case mouth it's ok.

Other things you can try to improve accuracy are: different powder charges and powder types and different weights of bullets.

Good luck,
-Bryan

Author of: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting
And: Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting

Old 12-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Silver Member

What twist barrel do you have? I imagine a .300WSM would have around a 1:10 but if for some reason it's a slower twist it might not be able to stabilize the heavier bullets no matter how you load them.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl135 View Post
Trevor,

The fact that your rifle shoots best with the bullets seated very deep is not a sign that you're doing anything wrong. That's just where your rifle likes them.

It's true that some rifles like longer OAL's better with the bullet closer to the lands, but not all rifles are the same. As long as you're not pushing the nose of the bullet down into the case mouth it's ok.

Other things you can try to improve accuracy are: different powder charges and powder types and different weights of bullets.

Good luck,
-Bryan
Thanks for the reply Bryan,
I guess if the rifle likes them deep then thats how I'll load them, I just wanted to check to see if anyone thought I might be doing something wrong. Ive played with different charges from 61grns up to 65grns and it really shoots the best at 63 grns. As far as trying different weights of bullets I may have to try that, but Ive already got 2 boxes of the 210 VLD's and at $42 a box Im gonna have to work with them till they are gone.

I dont care how deep the bullets are seated except for the fact that I read the deeper you seat/farther off the lands the more your velocity drops off. As long as I can get 2850+fps with the load I think it will be ok. Im gonna shoot it at 200-400 yds and see how it does.

Thanks,
Old 12-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

My dad's 300 WBY like the 210's seated in right up to the start of the ogive. Kinda looks dumb but shoots better than anything he has put down it and he has tryed a lot of stuff.