Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

The thread is closed

Aluminum Tipped Bullets from Goergia by Greyghostt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Lightvarmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
As long a Light Varmint continues his vendetta against Richard Graves of Wildcat Bullets then I will give Light Varmint grief. If Chawlston continues his vendetta then I will continue. It is very simply up to him whether he leaves Richard alone and in peace.

I have no other agenda than that. Sorry for your inconvenience.
BB,

Why do you continue to drag up issues in an attempt to protect Wildcat bullets but in effect actually stimulate negative exposure for him? Each and every time you stalk me on threads that have nothing to do with you interests, you make yourself look very foolish to me and others. You are actually defeating your own cause to protect Richard Graves and his company Wildcat Bullets. Everytime you jump up and crow when someone has questions about Wildcat Bullets, you are doing them a dis-service by continually stimulating bad press. You really need to take a look at the envirionment that you have gotten into here. Think about it, you are here on a thread that is discussing and providing information about Mr Henson's products and you are over here stimulating negative conversation towards your bullet preference and that actually helps Mr Henson and hurts your interests. I am sure Mr Henson appreciates your efforts.

FWIW, and it has been chronicled many times, Richard Graves is a busy man (as outlined in his emails to me). One only has 24 hours in the day and if answering emails and phone calls is not on top of the priority list, then that is the way it is. However, some folks have questions about it and that is why I sent them directly to the source for information on the bullet selection and on their availability. Second hand information is of very little use in sticky situations as these.

I have said this before that some of his bullets worked for me and then some did not. I think you would find this across the board that all of them do not work for everyone and I don't suspect any bullet line will work for every one. But, if you don't believe me about the customer service issues, PM Roy in Idaho as I think he and other bullet customers have had the same delimma as I. However, I am way beyond that and have found an alternative line of bullets to use.

One person bullet making operations can and do get swamped very easy. So, the choice is to either expand or to keep the core customers and do your best to fill all the orders that you can. But eventually, demand will out-distance supply and some folks will just be out of luck and have to find an alternative. For instance, some of the projects that will take up Mr Henson's scarce free time will be 50 BMG, 416, 408, 375, 7mm, 6mm aluminum tipped bullets along with the dual diameter option on most of them as well as the double jacket and/or bonded option. That does not include his other bullets or shotgun slug offerings.

But there is a solution to said delimma for you and the Wildcat customers. Since you feel so strongly on this matter, you might consider (1) moving to Canada and (2) becoming the Wildcat She-Male and (3) answer all the emails and phone calls so that none will go un-answered and the customer service issue will just drift away like dust in the wind.

I wish Wildcat bullets and Richard Graves all the success that can be had.

Have anice day BB.

James

Last edited by Lightvarmint; 07-01-2008 at 08:24 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 07-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Al tip deformation in magazine?

Would be interested to hear what happens to these tips in the magazine, especially on larger unbraked chamberings as the RUM's, Edge's, AM's, etc. Thanks!

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 07-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightvarmint View Post
... We are done with the .338 testing for now until the new dies come in. They are available for sale at this time in both 265 and 280 grain offerings to all interested parties.
Whats the story on the dies? Why, when, same, did I mention when?

Here's a related question, for a .338 LM shooting 101gr H1000 with 225's at 3230 fps, 28.5" 1 in 10, 3.680" oal, can you wild guess the 265 and 280 velocities?
Old 07-03-2008, 07:57 AM
Platinum Member

the 265's will be around 3000-3100 and the 280's about 75-100 less. i base this on shooting them out of my 29" Edge.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Lightvarmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI Rob View Post
Whats the story on the dies? Why, when, same, did I mention when?

Here's a related question, for a .338 LM shooting 101gr H1000 with 225's at 3230 fps, 28.5" 1 in 10, 3.680" oal, can you wild guess the 265 and 280 velocities?
I probably wrote the post incorrectly. The 265s and the 280s are currently available and he just shipped out a run last week. What I was trying to communicate was that the 280 and the 265 are the only offerings at this time. He has a longer dies on order and when that comes in, he will be able to increase the grain weight and BC offerings way beyond the 280 level. Since I am here, we found out an interesting bit of information this week.....

It looks (all evidence points to it but not confirmed and numbers published) that the 220 .30 caliber bullet when shot out of the same size case (using top performing loads) as the 280 will surpass it at 1700 yards in energy deposition and still be supersonic at 3000 yards. The 220 also passes the 265 in energy deposition at 800 yards as well. Not to mention that it passes the 300 SMK in energy at 675 yards in energy deposition. Just think, a 220 grainer with more thump at 675 yards than the bullet everyone thought was the holy grail two years ago. So, don't throw away the .30 8" twist barrels and if you do not have one, stand-by to order one as soon as all the numbers are in. So, you might not need to go to that cheytac case for the extra performance bump. When all the dust is settled and all is confirmed, it really puts the 338 back into the shorter range catagory when comparing the same case (for instance the 378 case, RUM cases, Lapua cases etc). Not to mention it's less drift and the lesser amount of trajectory arc (ie flatter trajectory).

I am so impressed with the 220 (and I can shoot any of the Henson bullets I desire), that I am not going to purchase any new .338 barrels for my single shot custom guns when my current ones decline in performance. However, if I decide to go ahead with the 2" X 10" Bat with the McMillan stock and four bolts (22BR-Cheytac size cases) to use as a test gun, then I may have to get another 338 Barrel, but probably just have the 338/378 chamber cut and new threads installed.

Just something to consider when ordering barrels and planning long range shooting sticks.

James
Old 07-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Silver Member

Lightvarmint, do you feel that it is possible to aluminum tip a 7mm projectile? If there would be enough interest, do you think greyghostt would try a run? I love my .30 calibers, but I find myself always going back to my 7mm Weatherby for some reason (ok, the reasn is sentimental). I would love to see what kind of BC an aluminum tipped bullet would have and what it would do in a 7 mag or 7-300. My reasoning would think it is possible. After all, if you can put a ballistic tip (plastic) on a .17 caliber bullet, then why not an aluminum?

Rocky
Old 07-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Lightvarmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky_lange View Post
Lightvarmint, do you feel that it is possible to aluminum tip a 7mm projectile? If there would be enough interest, do you think greyghostt would try a run? I love my .30 calibers, but I find myself always going back to my 7mm Weatherby for some reason (ok, the reasn is sentimental). I would love to see what kind of BC an aluminum tipped bullet would have and what it would do in a 7 mag or 7-300. My reasoning would think it is possible. After all, if you can put a ballistic tip (plastic) on a .17 caliber bullet, then why not an aluminum?

Rocky

Rocky,

Thanks for your interest. The 7mm bullets will be manufactured when the dies arrive. I realize you have sentimental interests, but bear with me on this one.

It may have been posted here before but here goes. If one wanted to shoot say a 200 grain bullet with the highest BC from a non-custom bullet maker, he would have to basically make a decision between the .338 and the .30 calibers. Since the advent of the higher BC offerings, some custom bulletsmiths manufacture high BC 7MM stuff. The 7mm stuff requires more twist for the longer bearing surfaces and higher weights and since it has much longer bearing surfaces than the .338 or the .30 and therefore may not be able to be pushed to the level where an advantage is feasible from the same size cases (enter the eroding barrel throat). Only testing in your equipment will answer that. However, if you have a large case and can use up some of the powder space with the bullet being seated deeper, then you might have something to work on.

I have corresponded with some shooters that have been tinkering (successfully) with the bigger 7MMs with the 200 grain ULD offerings. Most have indicated to me that some/most of the benefit of the higher BC is used up by the suppression of pressure to maintain brass life. I suspect if you got a 200 grain ULD and kept the same length with an aluminum tip, that you would wind up with about a ballpark of a 25% reduction in weight (thumbrule for the .30 calibers).

So, for the same BC one could find some performance improvements, but it would probably be 155 to a 175 grain bullet. Of course, if the bullet dies were long enough, then you could keep the same weight for down-range thump and have a higher BC. So as far as I can see, in the 7MM, one has to choose between down-range thump and/or BC. Of course you could split the difference and come together in the middle and comprimise a little on both.

Most of the experts have all agreed that the 7mm 200 grain uld is good for anything on the continent expect for the bears. With that being the case, I think that from a pure performance perspective that the .30 would work best in that weight range with the aluminum tips (provided they are properly made and will stay together to get to the target).

I have never been much of a 7mm fan even though I have four 7mm pistols. I just think the 7mm will not fare as well in the 200 grain aluminum tips for bigger game as the 30 caliber offerings becasue the 7MM will have to be throttled back a bit. The 7mm bullets will be manufactured, tested and then offered to shooters desiring to use them. They will shine in factory chamberings in the mid weights but have a harder time eclipsing the .30s with bullets 200 grains and above.

For me, the flatter trajectory, down range thump, lack of kick and accuracy in the 220s have me sold on them. For me, I prefer the 200 to 250 weights for the animals I pursue. To each his own.........

James
The thread is closed