Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Altitude vs. Barometric pressure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Altitude vs. Barometric pressure

Wish I could get wifi from where I hunted but I am about 50 miles to high up in the mountains!
Old 11-12-2011, 12:43 AM
Gold Member

Scot you don't need to get any signal, just enter the data off a weather station and the
app will give you DA.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
Scot you don't need to get any signal, just enter the data off a weather station and the
app will give you DA.
How are you getting weather station data without wifi? You are doing it without a Kestrel type device correct?

Even so what am I missing? If you have to enter station pressure, temp, and humidity into DanAlt then take that data and enter it into your ballistic software aren't you one step ahead to just enter the 3 into your ballistic software to begin with?
Old 11-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Gold Member

den alt needs temp, pressure, dew point and field elevation. You get that from a weather
station. Kestrel or any other. A lot of weather stations don't give you DA. The model I
use does. But if you enter a load in FTE with den alt that is the way it has to be used.
Always good to have backup in the field. Especially when it weighs and costs nothing.
I guess I could add, the program uses dew point because it is designed for flying, so
icing and carb heat require knowing the dew point anyway.

Last edited by Loner; 11-12-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the thread this has been very educational.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:24 PM

You have my attention with this topic. How would i obtain absolute pressure when standing on my favorite mountain in N. Idaho ? My GPS shows BP but it is in MB (milli bars). With a little research and algebra I can convert. But is it "absolute" or corrected for elevation ? What about the Kestral 4500 that some are raving about, will it deliver the "absolute" pressure ?
Old 11-24-2013, 09:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrockhunter View Post
You have my attention with this topic. How would i obtain absolute pressure when standing on my favorite mountain in N. Idaho ? My GPS shows BP but it is in MB (milli bars). With a little research and algebra I can convert. But is it "absolute" or corrected for elevation ? What about the Kestral 4500 that some are raving about, will it deliver the "absolute" pressure ?
The kestrel will give you absolute or station pressure. That is what you are after if using a program that calls for it. Then you enter temperature and walla you have your solution. I should mention humidity too, but it accounts to a much lesser degree.