Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

altimeter wrist watches

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2002, 03:19 PM
Gold Member

altimeter wrist watches

Does any body use these? I have been looking at a Casio for $175- has altimeter,barometer and thermometer. I thought they would be helpful for recording info in shooting log books. Do they work or is there something better?
Old 07-14-2002, 10:58 PM

Re: altimeter wrist watches

Chris, Check out www.campmor.com,I believe they this watch for about 89.00.I have thought about getting one of these and teaming it up with a palm pilot with the Horusvision balistic program on it.Any one out there tried this before?
Old 07-15-2002, 03:58 AM
Platinum Member

Chris,
my friend Eric has a watch that has those features too. How accurate they are I'm not sure but he said it was 150.00 at wally world. I ordered the Kestrel 4000 for twice that yesterday. It has the temp and wind speed too, not to mention a bunch of other stuff I'm sure I'll never use. I'm considering the Horus vision program for the palm pilots to use in the field also. I hinted to my wife my birthday is Aug. 23.

I'll compare Erics to mine but it won't be for over a month until he gets back from the north slope, he leaves tuesday for a four week hitch.

PS. Darryl, if your reading along here.
I gave him one of the two 338-416 Rigby Imp case and he's off to have one built while he's gone. He was like a kid with a new toy when he left.
Old 07-15-2002, 06:46 AM
Gold Member

Hey guys thanks for the repliesand the link-looks like a cool site for more "toys!"
The watch they have is only a barometer and thermometer- no altimeter.
I thought if they worked they would be handy- always with you instead of a separate gadget to forget at home or lose.
If you find out any more let me know.
Chris
Old 07-18-2002, 07:15 PM

I have an older Casio altimiter wristwatch. It is kind of bulky conpared to my Ironman but it works well enough. I find it to be much more sensitive than a barometer. I can watch the digital display click off the meters as I drive up and down hills.
When weather systems come in it responds to those as well.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

Chris,
Doesn't it make more sense to pick up a Kestral so you also get wind speed and don't have to carry two pieces of gear? On the other hand, toys are fun...
I use my Kestral when we first set-up to get an idea of the range of windspeed, then put the sucker away and dope, grope, chase and get humiliated by mirage and natural wind indicators.
If I am shooting out home I never worry about temp, altitude, barometric pressure, moon phase, color of my dog's turds or whatever (don't even put that stuff in my record book - temp maybe) - only shoot 700 to 1100 so take it as it comes.
Are you working at the new GA location?
ian
Old 07-18-2002, 08:37 PM
Gold Member

Ian,
Like I mentioned I thought if the watches worked then I would always have it with me. Something like the Kestrel I would leave in the wrong range bag at home or whatever. Being in MO at 900 ft kinda messes up a zero when you go shoot sod poodles at 6000 ft in CO, and temp and the other stuff would be kinda neat info to have.
Unfortunately, I am still in school in Lakewood, CO so I haven't seen the new shop yet. However it is a block away from my dad's shop so I know the area real well. George was nice enough to send me stuff to do for school and should help him get caught up. I talk/email him once or twice a week.
Chris