Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

ALLEN PRECISION Teaser...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 03:22 AM
Platinum Member

Re: ALLEN PRECISION Teaser...

Kirby, that's really some impressive stuff!!!

Best of luck to you!!!!!!!!!!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

LTLR,

Shoot me an e-mail at allenmagnum@gmail.com and I will get you some numbers on the Raptor LRSS in the 338 Raptor chambering.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 04-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Rocky Mountain,

The case volumes are filled to the case mouth, total case capacity. Since the 338 AX, 338 Raptor and 338 AM have roughly the same neck length and same shoulder angle, this still gives me an idea of case body capacity increase as the neck volume is nearly idential on all three so that is consistant. Only difference is the case body volume.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 04-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

HARPERC,

Yes, 25-26" is what I consider conventional length barrels and the 300 Allen Xpress will easily drive a 200 gr Accubond to 3400 fps in these barrel lengths with the Raptor receiver.

In 30" barrel lengths, I have pushed the Accubond to over 3500 fps and the 240 gr SMK to 3250 fps.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 04-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Rocky Mountain,

The base 338 Excaliber case holds around 7-8 grains more powder then the 338-378 Wby case because its basically the same case only that the Excaliber is longer then both the WBy and Rigby. It also has a longer case body length.

My design relocates the shoulder position to increase the length of the case body even more over the 416 and Wby case.

As far as powder comparisions, inless we are using the same exact powder, the comparisions are not accurate because different powders weight different amounts per volume.

If you simply improved the Rigby case, the 338 Raptor should still offer around 7-8 grains more usible powder capacity. If you relocated the shoulder forward and improved it making a very short necked case, then yes, you will have similiar case capacities.

Only draw back I have seen with the 416 brass is that its designed for a very moderate pressure load and I have not seen to much brass that would support +65,000 psi in chamber pressure with usible case life. Also, its just a pain in the rear to take a 416 case down to 338 and then 30 cal as well compared to what the 338 Excaliber will be. Much more user friendly.

In my opinion, when Wby came out with the 338-378 Wby, it pretty much made the 338-416 Rigby an outdated wildcat that required much to much effort for the same performance.

The 338 Kahn which is a 338-378 Wby with a conventional 35 degree shoulder angle will easily match the numbers your listing as well as it should, nearly identical to the 338-416 Improved.

Improving the 416 really does not give you much volume increase as its pretty well improved right from the start.

Hope this clears something up.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 04-27-2011, 12:40 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

The Excaliber is basically the same case as the 338-378 wby without a belt but its longer. Same diameter but longer.

It would not be possible to make excaliber cases from Wby or Rigby cases, they are to short.

You likely filled your case perfectly fine, your powder may weight more then BL-C2 per volume however. Unless your using the same powder you can not compare to different powders. This is why I always use BL-C2 for measuring case capacity. If you use the same fill material, comparisions are always accurate. Water is best and most accurate but a pain in the rear.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 04-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Camshaft,

The 30-378, 338-378, 378, 416 and 460 Wby are all on the same exact case, just necked down to different calibers.

The Pegasas and Excaliber are the same body diameter(not belt diameter) as these cases but it is a longer case.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com